Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I press my binding? >

Should I press my binding?

Should I press my binding?

Old 11-24-2009, 10:36 AM

i always spray starch and fold and press the binding even with the cut edges and wrong sides together before i sew the binding to the front. this gives a finished edge to sew to the back of your quilt. research the internet and learn how to do the mitered corner also. mitered corners make the quilt corners look professional and gives you the satifaction that your quilt was done correctly.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:47 AM

by sewing the raw edge to the front, you get a more even seam. i like wide binding so i cut 4 1/2 in wide, fold over wrong side to wrong side
which makes 2 1/4 in and folded over to the back gives you a 1 in binding even on both sides. use matching fabrics if you use a border, this makes the quilt border blend with the binding also match your thread to the border and binding so that the seam colors match, if you make a slight mistake in sewing on the binding it wont show as bad or hardly show at all. only you will know the difference. we look at our quilts close up beginning to finish and see our mistakes. observers only look at the overall finished product and only see the beauty and fine craftmanship. think about this.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:51 PM

I always press mine. I fold it in half, pressing as I go. Then I pin the raw edge to the front, then sew it. Then I bring the fold edge to the back, pin it, and sew it by hand. Makes a pretty front.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:00 PM

I have always sewn it by machine to the top of the quilt, after pressing the binding first, but what you are saying makes sense. I think I'll make my next binding this way.

The other thing I want to try, is to machine stitch the binding to the back side, and decorative stitch (ie. probably blanket stitch) it on the front.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:44 PM

I always stitch to the back, fold to front and stitch close to edge. Find it quicker & easier. For me, anyway
Old 11-24-2009, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I bound 2 quilts yesterday and will have 2 more (a king and queen size) in the next week after quilting them.

So lets just say I am going to be getting a little practice to say the least!!!!

Billy
BILLIE....you knock these quilts off like the wind.....along with Eddie.....can't figure how to get as many and as fast as you two do........

Can I send you some of my UFOs............lolol

MJ
Old 11-24-2009, 04:22 PM

I machine stitch my binding (after pressing), raw edge to the front...flip over to the backing and hand sew in place........

I guess it's all what one gets taught and is used to doing....mj
Old 11-24-2009, 04:33 PM

I was taught, and still do it the same way - cut 2-1/4 or 2-1/2, fold in half lengthwise and press. Sew down to the top with 1/4" or better. Then I press the binding outward giving the front of the binding a good crisp laydown effect. Like someone else said, when you roll to the back, be sure and make sure all the binding has batting inside for a nice rolled edge and not a "flat" effect.

Now you have plenty of thoughts to choose from!

Helen in VA

Old 11-24-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
BTW - if joining strips for binding, you should do it on the bias so you don't get bulk at the join. I set my stitch length shorter for this then press the seams open.
Yep, learned that the hard way. It took me 2 or 3 quilts before I finally gave in and did it this way (I don't like the fabric waste ... even though it's ridiculously minimal), and yeah, it makes it soooooooooooooooooooooo much easier
Old 11-25-2009, 04:52 AM

I press my binding then sew raw edges to the front and turn to the back and hand sew.