Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should or Shouldn't

Your quilt looks beautiful. Don't be too hard on yourself! Make sure you wash it and dry it--so it fluffs up and looks "quilty"...then present it with PRIDE. She will love the fact that you "made" it and that it's a beautiful quilt.
    Then tell us all about her comments (so we can tell you, "we told you so" (lol)
    :) :)

Look at it this way - she taught you to grow in one way and the gift of your first quilt will be a symbol of your own growth in another way.

Blog Entries
    I think it looks lovely hon. sometimes i don't stitch in the ditch but stitch long curvy lines. it's easier and gives a bit of interest. i use my walking/quilting foot. also known as even feed foot. helps the fabric layers move along evenly.
    lovely quilt. just finish it and give it with love. i'm sure it will be appreciated greatly. great effort.

it's a beautiful quilt and as my brother tells me all the time "who's going to notice that Regina" and my answer is "ME"...anyone that doesn't sew will not know. just remember the love that went into this quilt and they will too. Merry Christmas

Regina

it looks great to me! hey thats the way you learn just keep on quilting with every quilt you learn something new

Blog Entries
    It looks Great. Give it to her She will love it.

It's a beautiful quilt! I agree with everyone else--no one else will notice. I'm also more critical of my own work, so I understand, but a non-quilter will think you're amazingly talented and appreciate your lovely gift. Go ahead and give it to her and please don't point out the flaws you see!
    My grandmother taught me to quilt as a child, and I remember something special she told me when I was comparing my efforts to hers. She told me her grandmother told her, "Only God can make Perfect, so make sure you have at least one "flaw" in your quilt." Well, I never have any problem "making sure" there are flaws in my quilts..... they just show up! I think of her and her words every time I sit at my sewing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat
    Its a lovely quilt and you are the one noticing the stitch in the ditch mistakes a non quilter probably wont even see them and the gift was made from the heart so its perfect no matter how wonky a seam maybe. I vote you should.

I am with Elsa. We always notice it more because we are the ones who made them.

What a wonderful way to see this gift of love. I totally agree that it should be given, and to think you are parting with the very first work of art from your heart becasue you cared so much about this person. I also think of it like baking a cake. There have been times that my cake was lopsided, not the perfect shade of brown, and falling to pieces when taken out of the pan, but did I throw it in the trash??? No way!!! Most of the times these are the best tasting cakes in the world. It was the ingredients that made the difference and love is always stirred in.

Your quilt is beautiful. I would be thrilled to receive it as a gift. Handmade gifts are gifts from the heart, so I vote YES, give her the quilt. I know she will appreciate your lovely gift and remember your kindness whenever she wraps up in it.

I wish I had the pic still of the first quilt I ever made!! I was horrendous, but I was so proud looking back at it now. I used mickey fabric panel and the stripes on the panel were not printed correctly..all wonky..probably why I got it so cheap..and id a pieced Alabama block alternating. This was my first thing ever sewn in my life!! Needless to say..every seam did not match, the stripes were all crooked and I tied it instead ao quilting it. I had no help at all when I did this quilt!! I did give that quilt to a friend for her beby shower and she LOVED IT. She never sees all those mistakes and her darling girl still runs around with it today!! This was 6 years ago!! I am better now, but as my mom says...Cathy's quilting is consistently inconsistent!!" Perfect in my book!! LOL Give it to her!! Your quilt is beautiful and a lot of love went into it...that's all she is gonna see and feel when she wraps up to snuggle within its folds!!

What atrocious typing!! Forgive me...that's what happens when you use a dark keyboard in bad light!! LOL

I agree with everyone - it's a lovely quilt and a non-quilter won't notice any errors that bother you. It's handmade so you can't expect it to be perfect. It's the thought and love that go with it that matter. As someone else said - don't point out the faults and they'll go unnoticed for sure.

Blog Entries
    I would be proud to be the owner of this quilt!!! She is going to love it :D :D :D

The quilt looks fine to me. The Amish purposely put a mistake in their quilts. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I think it looks great and that you should give it. :)

It looks beautiful, you did a great job. Give it proudly.

I don't see any problems with your quilt. It looks just fine to me. Go ahead and give it.

Banned
    I am with everyone else on this one, your quilt came from your heart and I can see the love in it even from the photo you posted. Mistakes give it character and its own personality something you will never have with a store bought one. Thats why I love my treadles when it comes to quilting they are a little temperamental at times, but do a lovely job and give it a certain vintage feel to the quilt.

Oh and a little secret I found out is wash the quilt after you finish it up and when you pull it out of the drier all of the wonkiness is not so noticeable and it hides a lot of mistakes!!

Billy

If you have such a high regard for her that you've made her a quilt, she must be a fine person. As such, she will love the quilt and the thought and the work you put into it.

Your quilt is beautiful. I know that I treasure anything that someone took their time to make for me. Don't be so hard on yourself. Your work shows how much you care. :thumbup:

Give it to her!!!!! She will love it imperfections and all....thats what gives it the unique and special feel to it. if we all worried about a few imperfections, i dont think anyone would every receive a quilt...or as i like to call them Blankies!!! and remember what the amish said.....only god is allowed to make perfect things. I believe they purposefully put a "flaw" in their work so to make sure they are not trying to "compete" with god. such a neat culture.

Hey,

My first quilt didn't look half as good as that!!

You did a great job joining big and little pieces on your first try!!

I found that if I cut on the width of the fabric, when I pieced it sometimes stretched a bit and I got a bigger block than if the pieces were cut on the length.

You will also get trouble with sizes and shapes if you forget and cut on the bias when not needed.

It looks great!!

Next time, try using the quilting needle with the smallest eye your thread will go through well. The smaller needle eye will let you get closer into the ditch in most cases.

Also, use a gentle spreading motion at the seams with your hands as you guide the seam/ditch under the needle, that will help your needle find the ditch as well.

You did great!!!

Wow, quite an accomplishment for your first quilt; all those Pillars (don't remember if thats the right term?)and small blocks in between the big ones; i've shyed away from those for a long time. I think your quilt is just beautiful! Every person is different and none without flaws! And we are our own worst critic. Take pride in what you have accomplished, especially being self-taught!

I say give it with love. Your quilt is lovely so don't be so critical of your work. The lucky recipient will love it. I know I would.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast