Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should or Shouldn't >

Should or Shouldn't

Should or Shouldn't

Old 12-03-2009, 09:17 AM

It looks Great. Give it to her She will love it.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:20 AM

It's a beautiful quilt! I agree with everyone else--no one else will notice. I'm also more critical of my own work, so I understand, but a non-quilter will think you're amazingly talented and appreciate your lovely gift. Go ahead and give it to her and please don't point out the flaws you see!
My grandmother taught me to quilt as a child, and I remember something special she told me when I was comparing my efforts to hers. She told me her grandmother told her, "Only God can make Perfect, so make sure you have at least one "flaw" in your quilt." Well, I never have any problem "making sure" there are flaws in my quilts..... they just show up! I think of her and her words every time I sit at my sewing machine.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
Its a lovely quilt and you are the one noticing the stitch in the ditch mistakes a non quilter probably wont even see them and the gift was made from the heart so its perfect no matter how wonky a seam maybe. I vote you should.

I am with Elsa. We always notice it more because we are the ones who made them.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:30 AM

What a wonderful way to see this gift of love. I totally agree that it should be given, and to think you are parting with the very first work of art from your heart becasue you cared so much about this person. I also think of it like baking a cake. There have been times that my cake was lopsided, not the perfect shade of brown, and falling to pieces when taken out of the pan, but did I throw it in the trash??? No way!!! Most of the times these are the best tasting cakes in the world. It was the ingredients that made the difference and love is always stirred in.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:34 AM

Your quilt is beautiful. I would be thrilled to receive it as a gift. Handmade gifts are gifts from the heart, so I vote YES, give her the quilt. I know she will appreciate your lovely gift and remember your kindness whenever she wraps up in it.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:41 AM

I wish I had the pic still of the first quilt I ever made!! I was horrendous, but I was so proud looking back at it now. I used mickey fabric panel and the stripes on the panel were not printed correctly..all wonky..probably why I got it so cheap..and id a pieced Alabama block alternating. This was my first thing ever sewn in my life!! Needless to say..every seam did not match, the stripes were all crooked and I tied it instead ao quilting it. I had no help at all when I did this quilt!! I did give that quilt to a friend for her beby shower and she LOVED IT. She never sees all those mistakes and her darling girl still runs around with it today!! This was 6 years ago!! I am better now, but as my mom says...Cathy's quilting is consistently inconsistent!!" Perfect in my book!! LOL Give it to her!! Your quilt is beautiful and a lot of love went into it...that's all she is gonna see and feel when she wraps up to snuggle within its folds!!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:43 AM

What atrocious typing!! Forgive me...that's what happens when you use a dark keyboard in bad light!! LOL
Old 12-03-2009, 10:17 AM

I agree with everyone - it's a lovely quilt and a non-quilter won't notice any errors that bother you. It's handmade so you can't expect it to be perfect. It's the thought and love that go with it that matter. As someone else said - don't point out the faults and they'll go unnoticed for sure.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

I would be proud to be the owner of this quilt!!! She is going to love it :D :D :D
Old 12-03-2009, 12:17 PM

The quilt looks fine to me. The Amish purposely put a mistake in their quilts. :thumbup: