Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes? >

Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes?

Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes?

Old 01-06-2014, 05:09 AM

I have taken quite a few classes at a local store and have learned from them all. I have never had a truly bad instructor, though I have had two instructors, who were definitely card-carrying members of the quilt/sewing police, and could have lightened up a little bit. The classes I've enjoyed least are usually due to one or two fellow students who are extremely needy. Some people need to fork up the dough for private lessons.

I'm taking a class next week on hand applique. I'm self taught using books and the internet, but am embarking on an ambitious project this month, and want to an opportunity to ask some questions. Hopefully the instructor won't mind that I am really interested in the technique only and have no intentions of finishing the entire project. She has very specific color requests for fabrics (no way am I buying new fabric for something I won't finish). Hopefully she is laid back!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
oh, and one more thing, if you are lucky enough to live in a place where you have even ONE place to take classes, count your blessings. In this town of 70K we have NO fabric/quilt shops and NO place to teach or take classes!
I know Enid, OK. My parents lived there for about 8 years. I always liked Enid, but I wasn't a quilter then. Would probably miss a LQS. I hope you have found a few quilters there you can interact with!!

Dina
Old 01-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Banned

Jkaczor........I suggest you discuss this with the instructor...if possible... before the class in order to avoid embarrassing
situation at the class. I would appreciate it as an instructor. It is unnerving when a student is going against the expected flow of the rest of the students and the plan of the instructor.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:53 PM

See if you can observe a class before signing up for one. That way you will know what to expect from the instructor and whether or not you want to take a class from them. My LQS is starting to offer classes on smaller projects. People are busy and want to be able to finish something so the store is catering to those. I love going to classes to meet new people and form new friendships.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:51 PM

With Craftsy classes available 24/7 forever, and very reasonably priced (AND guaranteed), I can't see myself ever taking a local class. Our local classes cost 3-4 times what Craftsy classes do, and even if good, are only one time. I don't mind working alone, so they are perfect for me. Every one I have taken, the instructor has been quick with replies, and the view is always right over her shoulder.
After this discussion, I won't even consider taking a chance on a local class.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:03 PM

I work full time in a small office and see very few people most days. Except for my husband, who I enjoy hanging out with, most of my friends and my family are all 200+ miles away.

I love Craftsy classes, but I love attending classes even more because of the nice quilters I get to spend time with. I've been to great classes (Sue Nickels at the Houston Festival) and ho hum classes. But so far, the classmates have been great. I like being with people that enjoy quilting.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:09 PM

Wow, I feel more blessed than ever to have a great LQS that provides great, varied practical classes with awesome teachers. I only attended one where the person teaching may have had great skills but didn't have any teaching ability. I am a teacher so feel I can objectively evaluate. The owners immediately cancelled the second session and gave you a choice of a refund or credit for another class. I also love my Craftsy classes, but in a live class I feel I learn not only from the instructor, but the other members of the class. Country Quilts in Clearwater, FL- awesome shop!