Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Quilts Using Muslin!

Blog Entries
    my avatar "dancing mugs" is ALL muslin, I hand dyed it, and used some white muslin for back ground, nice and soft
    dare to dream

Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness! A fresh look at muslin! Sharon, I especially like the one with the birds!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Not really a lover of muslin for backgrounds, backings...but see some wonderful quilts being shown here! Some so old-fashioned looking.
    Tutt...I love the one that your grandmother made the top for, and you finished!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    Oh my goodness! A fresh look at muslin! Sharon, I especially like the one with the birds!
    Thanks, Krystyna! I made 2 of those for twin beds...some of my first efforts. They are so soft. I really love muslin and had sort of drifted away from it...now after looking at these quilts I think I am going to "rethink" it some. I did use good muslin and I did wash it before I cut it because it tends to shrink some. Wish you would think of moving to Illinois..we could get into some real quilt fests!!! Honestly, I am not sure why anyone would move to this state...we are as poor as California! I came because the grandchildren are here and I really do love it...just wish the economy would improve and our local politicians would stop breaking the law.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    Oh, Daphne, your quilt is gorgeous. ALL of these quilts are gorgeous. I've got to get busy and get off this machine. LOL

Blog Entries
    Leaha, your dancing mugs is gorgeous!

Sharon, too cold in Illinois. Thinking of northern Georgia ... if we ever get to rebuild and sell. I'm told there are four seasons there but not too much of any of them. Need to see what towns have good fabric stores down there!
    Krystyna

Here is a few of ones I did on muslin a few years ago. I use it a lot but like the older muslin better than some of the new muslin.

Name:  Celeste's quilt.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  Kim's quilt 2.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  36.1 KB

Name:  Kevin and Robin's quilt 2008 3.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  44.6 KB
    Last edited by twinkie; 02-18-2013 at 04:06 AM.

Waiting to be quilted

Both of these quilts are done with muslin. Bleached muslin on the blue and white, and a good quality muslin on the 9patch. Hope to get them quilted very soonName:  blue n white quilt top.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  162.6 KBName:  9 X 9 in progress.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  155.3 KB

To everyone that posted pictures of their quilts of muslin, they are all just wonderful...I use muslin every chance I can and I agree with the older muslin being the one I would rather quilt with. Sometimes I get lucky and find old muslin at sales and thrift shops and grab it up very quickly...no matter what size the piece is. One day last week my treasure found was 4 yds...what a day!!

Blog Entries
    Twinkie and Whinny, I really love them all. Thank you for posting them!
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    Twinkie, those are beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Krystyna. Thank you so much for asking this question. I never thought of using muslin on quilts. I saw a quilt at the quilt show that I need some beige material for. I looked at all the fabric at JoAnn's yesterday but never thought of muslin. Definitely will be what I use. I'll be using muslin for a lot more of my quilts from now on. Thank you everyone for the beautiful inspiration. Everyone's work on here just continues to amaze me.

Blog Entries
    Cactusmomma, I never in a million years would have thought of using muslin on the front! I was wondering if it was frowned upon on the back! Just goes to show you what a VAST amount I need to learn about quilting -- and this is certainly the place to do it!
    Krystyna

Quote Originally Posted by Daffy Daphne View Post
    One of the first quilts I ever made, when we were still using cardboard templates and cutting out each piece separately (ugh!). King size, handpieced and handquilted, for my middle daughter.

Attachment 395790
    Wow, such BEAUTIFUL quilts!!

But Daphne, this one is STUNNING!!!!
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

As to the use of muslin, has anyone used permapress muslin in their quilts? Reason I ask, I have a whole bolt of it and just wondered if I could use it for my quilts.

Thanks for any advice.

Suz in Iowa

Blog Entries
    Hi Suz...I haven't but I would try if I had some! My new LQS hand dyes fabrics and they are $3.99 a fat quarter! I am now thinking I should try that with some of my muslin. I am not sure how to get that Batik look but think I will ask at the shop how she does that. I love all of the quilts and I have to say sewing with muslin is really nice. I have used it on the front as well as on the backs just never used the bleached...now I intend to do that! Years ago the choice our moms had for sheets were Percale or Muslin. Thanks Krystyna for this lesson in muslin...I have learned a lot on this board...it is such fun to keep learning!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    I have used perma-pressed muslin for the background for applique and also for piecing and it works up really nicely.
    Pat

All these quilts are beautiful.
    Carol

Yet another valuable piece of information. Thank you everyone for sharing.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I love to use muslin as a backing; just in Baby blankets I use flannel, fleece or Minky ...
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Wow - who knew!! I ll be working on one of these.

Banned
    All of my quilts in my album are made with white muslin. Check them out.

Thanks for asking the question and I have a couple also. What is the difference between bleached and unbleached? whiteness or texture? Was the older muslin more like feed sack fabric? or was it softer then?

Daphne, that quilt is stunning. It's hard to imagine you were able to create such an intricate quilt when you were first quilting. And doing it the old fashion way. WOW!

Thanks to all of you who have shown your beautiful quilts. It is inspiring to see such nice work. I really like the muslin.
    jean

Quote Originally Posted by jeanharville View Post
    Thanks for asking the question and I have a couple also. What is the difference between bleached and unbleached? whiteness or texture? Was the older muslin more like feed sack fabric? or was it softer then?

Daphne, that quilt is stunning. It's hard to imagine you were able to create such an intricate quilt when you were first quilting. And doing it the old fashion way. WOW!

Thanks to all of you who have shown your beautiful quilts. It is inspiring to see such nice work. I really like the muslin.
    Thank you, jeanharville, and others for the nice words about my quilt. It took me several years to make because I worked a 9 to 5 at the time. Wanting to hang it in our guild quilt show was the final push to finish it.

Yes, the difference between bleached and unbleached muslin is the whiteness. My daughter who asked for the quilt said she wanted white and bright colors. At that time there wasn't anywhere nearby to buy quilt fabrics, so I ordered the muslin from Keepsake Quilting, 14 yards I believe.

All the quilts on this thread are beautiful. Bobbielinks' quilt on the first page especially is calling to me.

Beautiful!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast