Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It SHRANK!!!! >

It SHRANK!!!!

It SHRANK!!!!

Old 10-13-2015, 03:12 AM

"It tends to inhibit my ability to breathe--which I think is sort of necessary for the whole continuance of life thing" ....

Ginger, that cracked me up!.... I have COPD and other lung problems, but unwashed fabric doesn't bother me.

To the OP, hope you find a solution.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:23 AM

I went through a period of time that I pre-washed everything. Then, I decided, after reading many articles and opinions, I decided not to pre-wash any more fabric. Therefore, I have wound up mixing fabrics that are washed and not washed. And, I have encountered absolutely no problems. I quilt my projects moderately and I wash them when I finish them. I always use Shout sheets and they do indeed pick up color many times but no dye transfer on the fabrics of the quilt. There is shrinkage-mostly because of the batting- and I like that crinkly look. I might add that I use high quality fabric with a high thread count and tightly twisted yarns.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:45 AM

If you need to use those 2 squares that shrank up, I would recommend washing everything. Otherwise, it's up to you how you want your finished quilt to be used/laundered. Personally, I'm like Ginger & will pre-wash absolutely everything (yes! even pre-cuts). I've never had a pre-cut shrink by a whole inch. I wash in cold with Tide Free & dry on low heat, which is what I recommend as washing instructions to my recipients.

If the 9" will really throw you off, I'd just go ahead & piece/quilt the thing & worry about the bleeding/shrinkage later. I've had to work with blocks that were 1/8" off due to my cutting errors & having to constantly adjust my measurements across the entire quilt was a bit of a pain, so I get why you would not want to work with an odd numbered block. Your fabric will shrink up some in the quilting process & will shrink again when it's washed/dried. As long as you're okay with that & calculate for some shrinkage in the end (probably not 2"/block, but maybe as much as 1"/block), just have some Shout Color Catchers on hand for the washing process & know that the worst case scenario if the Color Catchers aren't strong enough, you may need to re-wash with Synthropol.

Good luck!
Old 10-13-2015, 07:19 AM

I know you can eat a cake so what do you mean about washing a cake that's impossible.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

COPD and allergies are different lung situations. I also pre-wash all fabric because of the odor of the fabric and my experience having seen individuals go into stores and wipe their perspiration from their brows using the fabric on the bolt. I rarely buy pre-cuts because for one thing they are not all cut equal all the time. I don't want to have to deal with the other items like Synthrapol nd the like after all the work put into a quilt and see a mess of bleed all over. Some odors and perfumes can trigger an instant migraine for me. Everybody is different and their situations are nothing to laugh at.
Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
"It tends to inhibit my ability to breathe--which I think is sort of necessary for the whole continuance of life thing" ....

Ginger, that cracked me up!.... I have COPD and other lung problems, but unwashed fabric doesn't bother me.

To the OP, hope you find a solution.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:30 AM

For quilts made with unwashed fabric, here's what I do.

I use as much water as possible, use extra color-catchers, and I DON'T let the wet quilt sit in the washer after it spins out. Wet fabric touching other wet fabric can make color transfer that wouldn't bleed otherwise.

I check the quilt carefully (or just wash it again) before I dry it, to make sure I'm not heat-setting anything that DID bleed. I've had minor bleeding happen that made a pale yellow look "dingy" but it washed out on a second washing.

So far, that has all worked out for me. I pre-wash all my yardage, but not my pre cuts.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I know you can eat a cake so what do you mean about washing a cake that's impossible.
A "layer cake" is a Moda term for 10 inch squares usually I think 42 in a pack of different fabric from the same collection. A charm pack is similar but with 5 inch squares. Saves having to buy yardage of each to trim.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Regarding the breathing issue, I recently attended some workshops given by Jamie Wallen. He noticed a few years back that there seemed to be a lot more dust in the air when he ripped fabric for quilt backings. He contacted fabric manufacturers to ask about this and found out that the expected shelf life of fabric has risen in recent years from an average of 3 months (before the market collapse) to 3 years currently. Because the fabric needs to stay looking good for a much longer period of time now, manufacturers are now treating the fabric with 3 to 10 times the amounts of chemicals and binders as they used to. Jamie still does not prewash fabric he uses in his quilts, but he now requires everyone who works with him to wear a face mask when ripping fabric.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:45 AM

You might tell the recipient to wash the quilt in cool water also in order to make sure that it doesn't bleed any more.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:28 PM

Ladies, I strongly recommend that anyone washing a quilt, use Colorcatchers (more than 1). If you have a fabric you KNOW is going to bleed, i.e., a red, vibrant colors such as orange, maroon, deep blues, etc. I process my fabric in Ritz Dye Setter, which I had to order online. I used my large stew pot and kept the temperature at simmer temperature. YES, you must use HOT WATER. I ordered this off the Ritz Dye Company website, and I had a quilt with a lot of whole cloth white and a very vibrant red as a border, and as ruffles for the Pillow Shams I made to go with the quilt. I don't have any ownership interest in Ritz Dye, but it's a product that I KNOW WORKS! THAT BEING SAID, even so, I would still use Colorcatchers when laundering a quilt. ONCE I'VE COMPLETED THE DYE-SETTING PROCEDURE, DO NOT launder in HOT WATER.

Jeanette