Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Side Triangles >

Side Triangles

Side Triangles

Old 05-09-2017, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
Yes, take finished size of block, add 7/8" cut diagonal. This should fit the side triangle areas, and add 1 3/4" and cut diagonal twice for corner. I would cut these out of scrap fabric to make sure of fit. I usually add a bit to these sizes and trim down to fit. And yes you will have bias but if you handle the edges carefully and control the stretch, the quilt will ok.
I would add 1" so I don't cut off any points of the blocks. 7/8 is the bare minimum.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:25 AM

Bias can be a problem, but, more important is that you don't allow for a seam allowance when you cut a block in half.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
You would be missing the seam allowance, and the outside of the quilt would be on the bias, which may result in edges that won't stay square.

Bonnie Hunter has a cool chart

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...nt-quilts.html
Yes this! I have no problems having the bias edges, just spray the fabric stiff before cutting and handle with care.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
Or, make your own pattern. Draw finished size of block, cut diagonal, add seam allowance to the 1/2 or triangle. And cut individual side triangles using the pattern.
There is no law that says one "has to" cut the setting triangles from a larger square.

If you are unsure of whether not you have enough fabric to accomplish what you want, you can draw the triangles on the back of the fabric and count them to see if you have enough.

If using the cut triangles from square method - I always add a bit and trim later. My units ALWAYS end up skimpy when I cut the "exact" square size.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
You would be missing the seam allowance, and the outside of the quilt would be on the bias, which may result in edges that won't stay square. Bonnie Hunter has a cool chart
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...nt-quilts.html
That is a nice chart, but Jan from VA has a chart with pictures that is easy to understand without all the reading. I hope someone can find it and post it here.

Quilt 30 and feline fanatic have some good ideas. I would use both of them.

If your fabric is the wrong shape, make a pattern as suggested. Then if you really need to cut some of those side triangles with the bias on the long side, do the starch thing and then stay stitch the bias side. I would do the stay-stitching right away, not wait until it is sewn onto the quilt.

I doesn't hurt to add a little extra on these. Ask me how I know.

When I trim those edges, I lay my ruler from point to point and cut the side triangle 1/4 inch from those points to leave just that much seam allowance.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:28 AM

Or, you can cut your regular block (square) on the bias then cut that in half diagonally. That puts the bias on the sewn edges instead of the outside edges. Your original square block does have to be larger. I just measure one side of the triangle you need, plus 1/2 inch for seam alowances and make the bias square that size. Then cut that in half. you could try it first with scraps.

Last edited by mindless; 05-10-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:38 AM

heavy starching stops the stretching, but I would add a thin piece of hem tape or stay tape to that bias edge at the start of sewing to hold the bias in shape. If your triangle is too small, get creative and add some fabric, and make it look like part of the original quilt plan.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:52 PM

I think I'll just buy some more fabric and do the square cut method. Sounds a lot less dangerous than trying to fudge it.
This extra fabric can go back in my stash.

Watson
Old 05-10-2017, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

I bought the large Set In Triangle ruler from Quilt in a Day. So easy to use. Perfect for squaring corners of quilt tops too. https://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/ruler/30855
Old 05-10-2017, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
heavy starching stops the stretching, but I would add a thin piece of hem tape or stay tape to that bias edge at the start of sewing to hold the bias in shape.
Good idea!