Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Simplest Machine? >
  • Simplest Machine?

• Simplest Machine?

Old 06-10-2020, 07:14 PM

sounds like you won't be with her to sew, but doing your sewing visits via Facetime? So are you taking machine to her house or having it shipped? If taking it to her house and setting up then a vintage may be best fit. If you are ordering on-line and shipped to her, I would suggest a very lightweight, low end Brother or the Evensew--she will need to be able to lift it and unpack it. I know when my Mom got older and wasn't able to lift her classic Kenmore (with cams) was when she went with a low end, light weight machine--a travel machine. I have a Brother Simplicity that is computerized (bet she'd like the needle up/down feature once she got used to it) and several stitches and it's just fine--think I paid about $300 (with a trade in) for it. I also had a $90 Walmart Brother--zigzag, straight stitch, button hole,not computerized, very light weight--my daughter still has one of these--we both had great success with them.
    Old 06-16-2020, 06:04 PM

All my brothers have been super easy to use and maintain. My sq9050 is 9 years old and never been serviced. I just clean quick after every use. Done a lot of projects on it
    Old 06-17-2020, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mazo
    If there’s a machine that takes care of tension and can’t be changed by human, that would be good.
    Sorry, but I don't think that machine exists, unless it's one of those designed specifically for young children. Hey wait a minute, that's an idea! If the thought is to just get her doing something and we don't care much about the results, a child's beginning machine might be just the thing for her?
    Old 06-17-2020, 08:49 AM
    Power Poster

Does Mom want a sewing machine?