Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Simply woven quilt issues >

Simply woven quilt issues

Simply woven quilt issues

Old 05-16-2022, 02:32 PM

Red face Simply woven quilt issues

https://www.jellyrollfabric.net/Simp...e_ep_89-1.html

I have tried all day to complete one, just one, block, to no avail. I'm not a beginner quilter but can't get the twist and cuts right. Has anyone made this pattern. I tried 6, yes 6 times to try and get at least one block finished.

Looking for tips to make this. Thought it would be a great way to use up left over jelly rolls.

Does anyone have an easier pattern I could try?

Last edited by Julienm1; 05-16-2022 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:58 PM

Have you seen this tutorial? I have the patten in my “ to do list”, its been there forever, but I would only do it when I am in a total Zen frame of mind.

https://modafabrics.wordpress.com/20...y-woven-quilt/
Old 05-16-2022, 03:11 PM

Yes I have the tutorial but get confused with the turning and cutting.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

I love that quilt and want to make it! I couldn't find a way to print the pattern, and it's one that I would want to have beside me (not on the computer screen) while making the blocks. I can see how it could be confusing. I did copy it into a Word file and can print from there, but there should be a way to print or download directly from the tutorial. Did anyone find a way to do this?
Old 05-16-2022, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I love that quilt and want to make it! I couldn't find a way to print the pattern, and it's one that I would want to have beside me (not on the computer screen) while making the blocks. I can see how it could be confusing. I did copy it into a Word file and can print from there, but there should be a way to print or download directly from the tutorial. Did anyone find a way to do this?

On my iPad I am able to print it out, its 16 pages long though!
Old 05-16-2022, 03:36 PM

Yes, I have made it, it's absolutely my favorite jelly roll pattern to make. It is worth printing out the entire directions. There are many photos but worth it. The biggest key for me is to always turn in the same direction. Another helpful hint is I make all the strips the largest length and trim after each addition. It is not a block that I chain piece. Work on one block at a time, if you make a mistake, toss the block, there is no going back on this pattern.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:10 PM

I struggled a bit with my first blocks. I agree that remembering to always turn in the same direction helps quite a bit, as does reviewing the step by step directions each time you return to the project. One last word of caution…..watch your ruler lines, perhaps mark with tape. I made 49 blocks only to discover that 11 were incorrect. I was very lucky to have enough fabric to make replacement blocks. In the end I loved the result and gifted it to my sister who was thrilled.

Once you get into the groove you will be fine but I wouldn’t drag this project out to long…..you want to keep the process fresh in your brain!
Old 05-16-2022, 04:16 PM

I meant to also note that I did chain piece and the repetition helped me. Worked in sets of 7 blocks at a time, completing each step on all seven blocks and then moving to the next step on all seven blocks etc. that was about all I wanted to do in one session.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:16 PM

I always wondered how that went together. From what I see, as Toverly said, the trick is to always turn the block in the same direction. I may have to try this one
Old 05-16-2022, 06:06 PM

After supper I marked up the pattern...indicated where the first strip insert is. Also marked on each pic of the pattern where the first strip is. Was SO SO careful on the rotation and DRUM ROLL PLEASE...I finished a block and is correct. I'm exhausted. Time for bed...lol. Hate to think how many more blocks I need.

OH and I did copy the pattern and made it a word doc, made the pics smaller so it's only 3 pages.

Last edited by Julienm1; 05-16-2022 at 06:09 PM.