Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer 401 Help Needed >

Singer 401 Help Needed

Singer 401 Help Needed

Old 11-08-2011, 08:20 AM

I have several different machines (401, 403, 301, featherweights, 66, 99, model 15 treadle and a handcrank). I love the 401 and the 403 better than any of the other machines. They are fantastic machines.

I haven't used my 401 or 403 for fmq so I can't give you any tips on how to do it. Things I would try....instead of putting the throat plate up, I would try covering the feed dogs with an index card (tape the sides of the card to the machine but make sure there is a hole in the center of the card for the needle to go through). I would also try fmq with a different type of bobbin. The newer plastic bobbins for the singer 400 series that they have at Jo-Anns can cause some problems because their dimensions are not always accurate... but then some of the older metal bobbins get a little worn and don't work as well either. ( I usually buy my bobbins from a lady on the net who restores and sells older singer machines and parts. She checks the dimensions of each bobbin before she sends it out to her customers. )

I was talking to a quilter one day and I was surprised to hear that she used her 301 (which is also a slant needle) on her machine quilting frame. She said that it worked great for quilting. In thinking about it, the 301 has a vertical bobbin whereas the 401 has the horizontal bobbin so that may be the difference. You can also drop the feed dogs in the 301. My point in saying this is that the it being a slant needle may not be as much of a problem as it having both the slant needle and the horizontal bobbin combination. I think I will try the fmq on one of my machines and see what happens.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:22 AM

Just not raising the plate works great! I'm an instruction follower ... but in this case, not following all of the instructions works better. I hole punched and taped an index card. Stitches are even on both sides. I'm good to go, now.

I actually like the Elna Lotus SP better for FMQ, but the throat area is just too small for much of anything but my practice sandwiches. I'm sure as I work more with the 401 it will become my favorite!!

Thanks so much!!!

Last edited by GrandPam; 11-08-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:17 AM

Oh, good - I'm glad you're up and running. FMQ is so much fun, I hate to see anyone miss out on it!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:52 PM

I'm glad that you are now able to FMQ on your 401. You mentioned that you like the Elna Lotus SP better than the 401 for FMQ. I imagine that there will be a little bit of adjustment if the Elna is a straight needle. From what I've heard, when FMQ with a slant needle machine, you have to be careful to not move too fast since the needle goes into the material at a slant instead of straight up and down.