Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer 404 slant ?

Need to know your advise on the singer 404, good machine? Worth getting one? Anyone have one. Thanks

Did you do a search?

Candace, I did a search I only wanted the opinion of all of the expert quilters on the board. That I can ask questions. Sorry

I have the 401A, which is a slant. I love it, a great machine. Hope this helps.

Thank you. I always do a search I just like to know what you all think. Thanks again for your input greatly appreciated. Monie

I bought a 403 slant for $5 and love it. The stitching is beautiful.

$5 that's great the one I am looking at is $45

I always do a search too. Past threads usually answer 90% of my questions about machines:>

Blog Entries
    I have 2!!! Just getting to know them but was told they r real workhorses and a step up from 301! My biggest hurdle was getting used to a drop in bobbin! I'd go for it! Suppose to be great for quilting!!

I just purchased a Singer 404 in a small cabinet with manual, attachments, buttonholer, zigzager for $35.00. It was very well cared for and a little oil and she purrrs. I was like you, had to check here to see if it was workwhile and it certainly is.

Blog Entries
    I bought out a school - There were a BUNCH of 404s - all but one was repaired - that one was used for parts. That said here is my opinion. I gave one to my grand daughters and one to my great niece. If these were used in home ec back in the days when women learned to sew something was right - besides that they are simple enough to use - drop in bobbin (very hard to mess that up or loose parts) The needle threads front to back - less to remember. The machines are all metal - no plastic - no plastic gears - (a friend teaches sewing at Joann's - she says the newer plastic machines Joann's uses rarely make it through a set of classes. Get something that will hold up.) These machines have a great light - shines right on the slant needle... slant needle is easier to see. This is a good basic learn to sew machine. I've sold most of mine for about $50. These were all gone over and in working order and had new cords. I even learned to tune up the motors on these machines. Parts are available. Manuals are available. If you love it then move on up to a 401 or a 403.

These are really nice machines. Straight stitch only though. The 403's use cams to do anything but straight stitch and the 401's have a built in camstack and also use cams. They are all really well built machines.

Pat

Power Poster
    I have a 404 - my son (age 49) is using it and LOVES it!

It has a lovely straight stitch - is easy to operate - and it's relatively hard to muck it up.

Blog Entries
    My mom got a 403 when I was about 4 1/2. I'm 55. When I grad HS, they got her a newer one & the 403 was my gift. Still a workhorse.

Def worth $45. Go for it!!!

I posted the 403 instruction book here, just FYI.