Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer Antique Machine

What "type" of singer is a 15-91?? The lady says it is a 15-91 and the other number on the machine is AH699616. Can someone tell me what type of machine this might be??

Blog Entries
    My 15-91 is a treadle machine. It is a straight stitch machine. They also made them as handcranks machines and as electric machines. I love the stitch on mine. It is a great machine.

Here is a link to a review of the machine...
    http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/...ne-review.aspx

The machine is a 15-91, and the AH # is the serial number.
    Singer has a site where you can check to see when then machine # was alloted. I don't have the address, but can google it. Check Singer sewing machine serial numbers, or something like that. :)

Here is a link for pictures. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...RM=IGRE#x0y700

I do believe that the 91 is one that everybody likes around here. It is a sleek looking machine.

OMG! My favorite machine ever!!!! I have two! A real keeper!

Blog Entries
    Your machine is a Singer 15. Dated June 21, 1948, 35,000 quantity allotted.

Blog Entries
    Love mine!:)

If any of you live near Roanoke VA I have a coworker that is selling one for 75.00. That's just too far for me to drive to pick it up.

Blog Entries
    The 15-90 is the model 15 that is able to be handcranked or treadled, it's a belt driven machine.

The 15-91 has a "potted motor" and is gear driven. One of my favorite machines!! You can drop the feed dogs, it has an eight inch harp/throat space, and it's a powerful workhorse!

wow, do you only sew on these older machines? I have two but do not use them. I use my new babylock, what is the advantage of using these older machines then using the newer sewing machines? wo.uld love to here what you have to say

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewfun4jo
    wow, do you only sew on these older machines? I have two but do not use them. I use my new babylock, what is the advantage of using these older machines then using the newer sewing machines? wo.uld love to here what you have to say
    I sew on every machine I own, with a couple of exceptions. I don't use my W&W 8 treadle, because I don't want to mess up the decals on it. I don't use my mother's Kenmore because it needs repair and I haven't got to it yet. ;)
    Other than that, I have a "modern" Janome that I use for quicky projects, and all of my other machines are vintage. The reasons I use them?

1. I love the straight stitch on them. Since they aren't made to zigzag, you can't throw off the straight stitch with bulky seams.
    2. I love the nostalgia of them. There's just something about sewing with a vintage machine that conjures up images of those that used them before me.
    3. They're quieter than my Janome! Helpful when I want to sew while William's still in bed.
    4. I promised myself when I started buying vintage machines that I wouldn't have one around that I didn't use. William takes great pride in telling people that I have vintage machines "AND she USES them!".
    5. You can maintain and repair them yourself without having to take them into the shop and pay expensive repair/maintenance bills.

Vintage machines have their quirks. You can't leave an electric plugged in because they're "always on". Sometimes needles are hard to find for them, and can be expensive. Hmmmmm....what else? I really can't think of anything right now... Get your old machines out and give them a chance...I'm pretty sure they'll win your heart! :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewfun4jo
    The best way to know is to pick a small project and sew on it. I have a Singer 15-91 which I have yet to sew on. But, I sew on my 1951 Singer 301A all the time. It has such a straight stitch it is incredible and you wouldn't believe how fast it can go. I think I read someplace about 1100 stitches per minute... The vintage machines (pre 80s) are amazing machines. Now, I also sew on my 2004 Bernina Artista. Each have their specialties. :-D