Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Are Singer Feather Weights Really That Great?

Blog Entries
    I've had 2 FW's and eventually sold them. I'm spoiled, I like bells & whistles, needle down, good lighting, a few decorative stitches. I just bought a Bernina 330 for classes and bees. I love it, not too heavy.

Ok - I've read three pages of posts. I'll stop now and respond. I love my little 1936 Featherweight. It was my grandmother's machine. I have been sewing on it for over thirty years. I have another machine that has a zigzag stitch and other bells and whistles, but basically all it does is collect dust. I machine quilt smaller things on it only occasionally. I AM a hand quilter. I take it with me rarely as I don't do classes, etc. I piece everything on it. I could thread it, and change the bobbin in my sleep. I do the maintenance myself. And why, oh why??? is there a problem is you ding it up a bit? It's a machine! If you are buying it, thinking of of it as an investment - don't BUY IT! The thing is - for me, it does just exactly what I want - time after time after time. I will not part with it till my dying day. I would not be who I am without it. Have fun with your new machine - whichever you choose.

OK, I'll throw in my 2 cents. Those little FWs are just adorable! Lightweight and hard working, they appeal to my sense of nostalgia too. But good grief, the cost! I know I'm cheap, but for half the price, I got a vintage 301. Actually, in fact, I got two of them. They weigh a few pounds more but not noticeably more, are gear driven (and therefore have needle power) and are very easy to care for myself. But for me the biggest bonus is that the 301 is a full size machine, so I don't have to worry about tiny needles and fumbling fingers. Like the FW, it's straight stitch only, but for classes and retreats, one rarely needs more than that.

There are lots of choices out there for portable SMs, both vintage and new, so you have homework: check them all out and let us know what you decide. Once you do your homework, you'll own a SM that you will love to use every time you fire it up.
    Dorothy in PA

Blog Entries
    I have had a Feather Weight Singer for nearly 50 years and it wasn't new when my Mother gave it to me. It still sews beautifully. I usually just use it when I go to a quilting retreat or a workshop. I have used it when my other machines are in the shop being serviced. I would never sell it. It is great.

My DH just told me he bought a FW for me as an early birthday present. It won't be here for a week or so. He says he was told it was in good working condition, comes with orginal accessories. He didn't know the year, other then "the 50's". I was really really surprised. He normally pays little attention to my musinga about wanting one so I could start going to quilt classes again. I have a Janome 11000 and there is no way, thanks to a bum elbow, I could cart that beauty around we me. I have talked about the one we had when I was a kid, I learned to sew on it, and wished I knew what ever happened to it. I am excited and a bit apprehensive, hoping it is in good running order as he was promised!
    Lynne

I wanted a machine I could take to classes instead of my beloved Bernina. I did a lot of research and decided on a Singer 301. The price was much, much more reasonable, it is a bit heavier and therefore sits well on the table and it has the lovely stitch of the Featherweight. It is not too heavy to carry with me and has a great little handle on the top. My grandchildren used it when we made bean bags and it sewed beautifully. I would have been anxious to let them use my Bernina. The 301 stands up to hard use. I am thrilled with it. Yes, those FW's are darn cute but so is my 301. To each her own! I was disappointed to realize that it wasn't wise to switch back and forth between the 301 and my Bernina while sewing on the same project. I suggest that you consider that issue if you think you can sew on one in class and the other at home. And I love having two machines which enable me to have two projects going at a time. Sometimes I get tired and/or frustrated with one and like to sew on the other for awhile. I don't have to re-thread, etc. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I love my FW and can't think of another machine I'd rather "take along" or one more portable in my herd. That being said, find one and try it out before you make your own decision....some folks just don't like them...
    Ditto.....I have two FW's and a Janome MC 6500P as well as a Singer 99K.......love them all! My FW's go to the guild classes with me and when I travel.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    just remember, TINY is the key word when it comes to a FW..meaning it is hard to thread, change bobbin, etc, if your eyes are not what they used be or you have fingernails! I find them too small to my liking. I bought a small lightweight Janome Gem silver instead. MOre options, including FMQ, thread play, etc and I can SEE what I am doing!
    so sorry you have not enjoyed the FW. I will have to say that Ihave no trouble threading, filling the bobbin or changing the bobbin in my FW'S. To each his own and what fits for your needs is key

Blog Entries
    This information has been SEW helpful! I too have been tossing around the idea of getting a FW!
    Quilted Hugs from me to you!! Check out my Blog!!
    http://www.lisasquiltgarden.blogspot.com/

Jim
    I love my featherweight...it sews great but most of all I love the charm of it...I take my Brother CE8080 Project Runway with me to classes...I love that machine, even though its a new machine it too is a real workhorse!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

In a word, yes. Yes, they are that good. Mine is ALL I use to sew my quilts. And after my DH & my doggy, it's the first thing I'd grab in a fire or tornado or whatever. If you have a chance to get one, get it! You won't regret it!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I have acquired a few FW's- all needing new cords and other work before using. I had a white one for several years but never used it, and sold it. Older and maybe wiser I have been acquiring as I can afford to do so. The prices of $300 and up really have me perplexed. They are not rare- made in the hundreds of thousands. I use my Brother CS6000i for Guild meetings and classes because it is much more versatile with 60 stitches, lightweight, and I don't have to worry about someone filching the bobbin case (same as for the 201) which costs $40 to replace. Sadly, not all quilters are generous and honest souls. The Brother isn't perfect- I don't like the type of case which doesn't have latches, and it skips stitches with light lint buildup, but for the stitches it is well worth it. For heavier sewing like totes and rope baskets I have my trusty Kenmore. I also have many treadles waiting for me to get "a round tuit" and clean them up. I much prefer metal machines with their pretty gold decals to modern plastic for durability and simplicity of repair, like my old VW.

Filching bobbin cases?! Yikes. I never would have thought.

The prices are coming down even in just the couple months I've been looking. With patience and diligence you can definitely find them under $200, even under $100. I think the ones that go for $300+ right now is because they are a special one in some way or someone wants the "buy it now" option for instant gratification. Depends on what your times worth.

I just took delivery of a 1935 FW for just a tad over $200 with shipping from eBay. Can't wait to try it out!
    Lynne

Like someone else said, examine exactly what you want to do with it. I have a Bernina White Pearl as backup for my Bernina 640. But as soon as I finish a memory quilt for a client that I have started I'm selling the Viking Mega Quilter. We are collecting vintage machines and I LOVE sewing on them. The FW goes with me to monthly sewing group and 301 is going with me to a class at the end of the month.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4