Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer Featherweight Machine

Singer Featherweight Machine

Hello everyone! I have a friend who is selling a Singer EK923469 Featherweight. She's a beauty. She is asking me to give her a price, and I have no idea. I do not want to insult her and say something unreasonable, but then again, I do not want to pay too much. At what price should I offer her? Advise and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    It really depends on where you live. Up here in the upper Midwest, the top price for a Singer in excellent condition (with case and accessories) is probably around $300. If it is in mint condition, more, but most machines that were actually used are not in mint condition.

I'm not sure, but my feeling is that featherweights are less expensive on the East Coast (because there are more of them in that area, which was more densely populated in the day) and more expensive as you go west and especially as you get into less densely populated areas.

Condition affects price enormously. Look especially at the condition of the gold leaf, whether there are scratch marks or adhesive marks on the bed of the machine and elsewhere, condition of the case (if there is one). Oil cans add some value to the accessories. A blue "century" medallion on the machine can add some value, as does a fancy face plate (covering the left side of the head). Fancy face plates are supposed to mean an earlier machine than a striated face plate (straight lines up and down the plate). However, over the years many people have swapped out parts so that it is quite possible to buy a later machine with earlier curlicue face plate and/or century medallion.

For a working machine only, sans case and accessories, price is around $150-200 where I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    It really depends on where you live. Up here in the upper Midwest, the top price for a Singer in excellent condition (with case and accessories) is probably around $300. If it is in mint condition, more, but most machines that were actually used are not in mint condition.

I'm not sure, but my feeling is that featherweights are less expensive on the East Coast (because there are more of them in that area, which was more densely populated in the day) and more expensive as you go west and especially as you get into less densely populated areas.

Condition affects price enormously. Look especially at the condition of the gold leaf, whether there are scratch marks or adhesive marks on the bed of the machine and elsewhere, condition of the case (if there is one). Oil cans add some value to the accessories. A blue "century" medallion on the machine can add some value, as does a fancy face plate (covering the left side of the head). Fancy face plates are supposed to mean an earlier machine than a striated face plate (straight lines up and down the plate). However, over the years many people have swapped out parts so that it is quite possible to buy a later machine with earlier curlicue face plate and/or century medallion.

For a working machine only, sans case and accessories, price is around $150-200 where I am.
    I agree with Prism99. If it has a case and accesories, no more than $250-275.

Banned
    Color affects price too. White or tan ones can cost twice as much as a black one and crinkle finish ones around 4 times as much, about the same as a 222 free arm.

Cari

Have you tried it out? The bobbin case is a pricey item if you have to replace a missing one. Also, check the condition of the wiring. You can look up the serial number to determine the year if that matters to you.

I have seen them for around 200, but as some say it all depends on condition, included accessories, etc. Me personally I would not pay more than 200 unless it was in really good condition
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Around here, if I find one in a shop in good shape (working, decent electrical, with accessories & case) the price is usually close to $400. I don't know if they're actually SELLING at that price, but that's what I keep seeing. BUT, I live in wine country so this is probably one of THE most expensive places to buy something like that - everything around here is overpriced!! Online, I see prices more in the mid to high $200's.

I would not pay more than 250 unless it is a rare one
    Nancy

Just last week a Featherweight 221 sold for $250 at a local estate sale. It was in great condition and had the accessories in the box. Someone got a very nice present.

I believe it is up to her to set the price. You can offer her what you want to pay, with the warning that it may not be the best price she could get.

Stop by a shop that sells machines and inquire. It might be a good idea to have a third-party opinion so that both of you are feeling it was a fair deal.

I have purchased 3 (and sold one much to my husbands delight...and the friend I sold it to!) I paid $200 and $300 for the black ones and $275 for the white one. I have been traveling with the white one and LOVE it!

Blog Entries
    Have you checked E-Bay ?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If they work decent and have the manual and accessories and decent condition, the lowest I've seen is $250 and it had a little rust. Most here start at $300.00 and up. Went to an estate sale and the one they had was sold for $400.00. Had a Bernina there for $35.00 with most of accessories and manual. Needed work. Weighed a ton. I started to go for it but little girl got there ahead of me.

No one has mentioned the bobbin case. Does it have one? You need to try it out. The max I would go is 300 if it is in excellent condition. Decals and paint, no scratches. I have 4. One is very loud, nothing wrong with it. It was just used alot early on. See if you could trade your friend for anything too. Let us know what you decide.

I have just within the last year bought two 1950 featherweights (one for me and one for my daughter). I paid about $250 for each one. Both were in excellent condition(no scratches, gold intact, motors worked fine), had the manuals (which were also in perfect condition) had the original grease tubes and oil, one had the vintage walking foot, all the attachments were in their original box, the carrying boxes were in excellent condition (latches worked, no rips inside or out and were in general good condition for something that was as old as I was - lol).

Yes, while I agree the price varies around the country, my daughter who was in Baton Rouge for many years and had looked at several down there thought that I had gotten a decent deal.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

I live in the Midwest and I purchased one for 500.00 it is in mint condition and sew like a dream! Unfortunatly after I bought it I have lost interest in it, so I am thinking about selling it. I got it out of the case long enough to sew a doll dress... !
    llweezie

Give her a price that you are willing to pay and can comfortably afford. If you really want it your price will be higher. If it is something that you think would be cool to own, maybe offer her less.
    Lisa