Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Quantum L-500 - does anyone have this machine? >

Singer Quantum L-500 - does anyone have this machine?

Singer Quantum L-500 - does anyone have this machine?

Old 04-30-2010, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace
So....still loving it today?
Well, I put her through the ringer yesterday and gave her a rather thorough workout. At the end of the day I came to the conclusion that she is not the machine for me. Here is why:

Threading seems to be extremely touchy. I follow the rule of having the needle all the way up - but there seems to be a sweet spot where threading works and finding that is more delicate than I am willing to deal with long term.
Any of the stitches that have sideways motion (blanket, zigzag,...) she gets really loud and clunky. It's like driving a tractor. Even the straight stitch is pretty loud (and I don't need another expensive machine to do "just" straight stitch).
The decorative stitches seem to have a mind of their own - I don't need a pattern within a pattern.
Playing with the FMQ she sewed really well except for what feels like an irregular hickup.

In a nutshell - it's a great design with crappy oversees construction. For that price point I expect better.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:17 AM

Maybe you'll like the new Horizon? I want to see that baby up close. Sorry it didn't work out, but your perfect machine is out there!
Old 04-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

My old Quantum 9420 is a dream although limited in features. I don't think many were made because I can't find one on Ebay or any pictures of it online anywhere. It has the 3" computer screen. I think HSN got the last of the ones made. I remember there was only about 60 to sell and it took about one minute for it to be sold out. Darleen, the sewing lady at HSN, said recently that she still had and used her Quantum 9420 but they didn't make many of them before issuing a new Quantum. One thing about HSN, you can return the item and no hassle at all. The price of a new machine now days there is no excuse for poor quality in any brand.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

Candace, did you read my mind?????? hehe

BellaBoo, I wonder if the one Darlene used in the demo was tweaked to meet TV needs or if she just happened to have a good one. It was not super loud and didn't seem clunky at all.

It's a shame because there are a lot of things to like (even love) about the machine.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

I found one for sale and pic if anyone wants to see what it is: scroll to the bottom of the list.

http://www.singersewingmachine.com/newmachine.htm

I'm sure she tested and tweaked the one she would use. Some machines you can tell she isn't real enthused about if you watch her for a long time. I've been watching her since day one.

Oh the price of the machine now is almost double what I paid for it.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

She's pretty too. I had a Singer many years ago and it also had the slant needle design. That didn't work well for me.

I'm already excited about going to the dealer and test driving a few other models. I might even (can't believe I'm saying this) look at the Expressions model from Pfaff.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Banned

did you check out the viking machines?
Old 04-30-2010, 09:41 AM

Did you see that Meisners is having a preview party for the Horizon? Want to go:>?
Old 04-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

Yep, I looked at the Viking Sapphire - it's a nice machine but when I was looking, I was hell-bent on the Front load bobbin and the built-in walking foot.

Candace, I was in the neighborhood today (met Pat for lunch) so I stopped in at Meissner's. Test drove the Janome 6600 and sorry to say, I don't like their walking foot setup at all. It is almost as loud as the Singer - not as clunky though. So I have scratched Janome off the list. Talking to the sales person, I did not get why the new machine is so much more expensive than the 6600. Not worth it to me AND it will still have the same walking foot.

Now for the funny part: The machine I drove that absolutely had me in stitches (nice easy quiet humming stitches) has neither a front load bobbin nor a built in walking foot. It's the Babylock Espire. What a nice machine.

Now I'm off to check those out. Did I mention I LOVE machine research?????
Old 04-30-2010, 02:45 PM

Yes, I'm not in love with the walking foot set-up either. Too darn big! LOL. Maybe you'll have to reconsider Viking if you're giving up the fight for the front loading bobbin?

My table insert should be in any day...so that means another trip to Meissner's. Maybe by that time the Horizon will be out.