Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Sewing Machines - - >

Singer Sewing Machines - -

Singer Sewing Machines - -

Old 01-13-2011, 02:38 AM

I only use a 301a. Just slightly heavier than a FW and has a handle for carrying. Solid metal. I bought a new Singer when I decided to quilt in 2009, only used it twice. Bought the 301a locally for $75. The new Singer will probably go into 127 yard sale this year. I loved my 301a so much I bought a second one on ebay for a backup machine.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:56 AM

Being new to quilting, two years ago I started with a Singer 3116 not wanting to spend alot of money in case I found that I didn't enjoy sewing. It was a remarkable little machine even tho some of the reviews were not good. One week ago I bought a Singer 4423 Heavy Duth machine and, believe me, the Singer Simple beat the 4423 to pieces. I've had trouble ever since, called Singer, can not get through, sent 2 e-mails, one on Jan 5th and Jan. 9th...no response. Took the 4423 back and exchanged it for another 4423 to see if #1 could be defective. I haven't had enought time yet to find that out. I may be switching from Singer!
Old 01-13-2011, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by skeetersmom
I recently bought the Featherweight 221, and the other Singer I have is the Singer 6267 which I bought new around 1984 or so.

I've read lots of negatives on the later Singer machines, and I'm wondering when Singer quit making great machines.

Do any of you have Singers that you are happy with? I know we are all happy with our Featherweights.......but I'm curious about the others.

Incidentally, I also have the Baby Lock Ellageo ESG3. It was quite pricey, but all plastic.
I have the singer 201, and the Singer 401 A, and I love them both. I have been told by a couple of sewing machine repair men that the 401 was the last really good Singer made, but I am sure some would think differently.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:12 AM

I have the Singer Confidence Quilter, which is only a couple of years old. I love it, and use it non-stop. I have seen comments here on the board that the Singers sold at cheaper prices at places like Walmart are not good quality--my only experience with them is one that my sister-in-law gave me (new in the box--she never used it!) that she bought at Walmart. I didn't care for it. As soon as I could, I bought the Confidence on sale at JoAnn's and gave the Walmart Singer away!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:12 AM

I have a Singer "Golden & Touch" which I inherited from my mother & I believe she bought it in the late 50's. This is my heavy duty sewing machine as it is like the Everready bunny it just keeps going. I also have the Singer Quantum 5000 for which I use a lot for my quilting & embroidery. The for classes I have an Elna 1500.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:21 AM

I own a Singer Quantum LE which I bought back in the early 1980s. Over the years I had several Viking, Husqvarna dealers put down my Singer telling me what a piece of crap it was... that it was made out of recycled tin cans etc...... Well the joke is on them because I used that machine practically every day for 15+ years and with the exception of having that machine cleaned once a year it has never gone into the shop for repairs..... I mean I have NEVER replaced anything on it. After I got my Janome MC10000 I would use the Singer whenever I didn't want to change the settings on my MC1000. For the last year my GD has been using the Singer QLE and she hasn't had any problems with it either. Actually my GH says she loves the Singer QLE!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:40 AM

Besides my featherweights I have a 301 which is a little bigger than the featherweight but also lifts up on the bed of the machine so you can get to the bobbin area easier, I love it, it also sews like a little thrashing machine. Is great for fmq. I think they stopped manufacturing featherweights sometime in the 50s. There are repos out there so buy beware, I don't know how they sew, but they are made with plastic parts and the original were made with metal.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:41 AM

I just got a 1942 model on eBay--waiting for it to arrive!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 AM

I have a Singer Featherweight 1952 The man who services my machines told me any Singer made after the early 70's is made in Japan. Singer sold out to them.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:58 AM

I bought a Singer 7430 from HSN a couple of years ago, and really enjoy it. Sews perfectly, has many decorative stitches and have had no problem whatsoever. Great machine!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159350.png