Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Spartan sewing machine - Pictures Added >

Singer Spartan sewing machine - Pictures Added

Singer Spartan sewing machine - Pictures Added

Old 10-28-2009, 10:42 AM

I have 11 sewing machines all but 3 are singers, old machines. I have 3 1928's, a red eye, 2 featherweights, a mending machine and a long arm mchine. I also have a Precision, which was given to me by a friend that owned a thrift store. I would go back quickly and buy that old machne for the new ones are plastic and won't last long. My featherweight is the only one that I sew on and I love it.

Regina
Old 05-22-2010, 09:32 AM

I believe this is basically the same machine I just made a post about. I think I may be able to get it. Wish me luck! I really need another machine for my collection! LOL! I will know in about a week. I haven't actually seen mine, yet, and I cannot make out all the numbers via pictures I've seen. I made out enough of the first two to know that it is a 1964 like it's supposed to be.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-46721-1.htm#1076045
Old 05-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ButtercreamCakeArtist
Well, that looks rough, but still so beautiful! So, you can still get all the guts for these machines? I have a broken part in my old treadle. My DH was trying to get it unstuck, and it broke.
You have to find them on eBay and sometimes the sewing repair shops will have parts for them that they have left over from a machine they parted out.

It takes some finessing but you can just about get any machine unstuck.

Billy
Old 05-22-2010, 10:22 AM

We will find it one of these days. We still have to finish my sewing room...maybe we'll start working on it again after that.
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by ButtercreamCakeArtist
Well, that looks rough, but still so beautiful! So, you can still get all the guts for these machines? I have a broken part in my old treadle. My DH was trying to get it unstuck, and it broke.
You have to find them on eBay and sometimes the sewing repair shops will have parts for them that they have left over from a machine they parted out.

It takes some finessing but you can just about get any machine unstuck.

Billy
Old 05-30-2010, 02:59 PM

I had a Spartan that I found at a yard sale for $5. It was in great condition. I cleaned it up and gave it to a friend. I didn't know these machine existed -- the 3/4 size that is -- and today I found the cadallic of the 3/4 size machines! I found a Singer 99k in a walnut cabinet with all the attachments. It has a light, will wind a bobbin by itself -- you don't have to hold it down like the Spartan, and I have the orignial receipt dated December 12, 1956 for $153.40. I paid $10 for the whole thing -- it works great! I feel like it is Christmas!
Old 05-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I had a Spartan that I found at a yard sale for $5. It was in great condition. I cleaned it up and gave it to a friend. I didn't know these machine existed -- the 3/4 size that is -- and today I found the cadallic of the 3/4 size machines! I found a Singer 99k in a walnut cabinet with all the attachments. It has a light, will wind a bobbin by itself -- you don't have to hold it down like the Spartan, and I have the orignial receipt dated December 12, 1956 for $153.40. I paid $10 for the whole thing -- it works great! I feel like it is Christmas!
Congratulations on your find!!!! $10 is always a good price for a machine no matter what it is!!

Billy
Old 05-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

Wow, lucky you, great find!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:55 AM

I was curious and want to ask, I have a singer spartan old sewing machine with a cabinet. It need a real good cleaning due to it was sitting in a basement and belonged to my mother. It states singer spartan and made in Great Britian. I see no other numbers on it. I have someone who wants to buy it and I am willing to sell. It has a foot pedal but due to water this last april only the foot pedal got wet and rusted which would have to be cleaned. Can anyone give me what I should possibly ask for as a fair price. I won't keep it. I could not sew if my life depended on it. Thanks in advance
Old 08-03-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by lotto
I was curious and want to ask, I have a singer spartan old sewing machine with a cabinet. It need a real good cleaning due to it was sitting in a basement and belonged to my mother. It states singer spartan and made in Great Britian. I see no other numbers on it. I have someone who wants to buy it and I am willing to sell. It has a foot pedal but due to water this last april only the foot pedal got wet and rusted which would have to be cleaned. Can anyone give me what I should possibly ask for as a fair price. I won't keep it. I could not sew if my life depended on it. Thanks in advance
I found a Spartan at a garage sale. It was in great shape, no cabinet. I cleaned it up, bought a belt and gave it to a friend for what I had in it, which was all of $22.00! It runs great!

The Spartan is a striped down version of the Singer 99k. The Spartan is a Singer 99K, but it says Spartan, does not have a light, you have to hold the bobbin winder down to get a bobbin wound and it is very plain. They are work horses. They have a perfect stitch and will out last all of us. They are a 3/4 size machine. Singer was trying to save some money by making the little Spartan after the depression.

I later found the Singer 99k at a garage sale. It is much fancier than the Spartan, winds it's own bobbin, has a light, in a cabinet, etc., I won't sell that one. I paid $10.oo for the 3/4 size Singer 99k -- the cadillac of the Spartan.

I hope this helps.

Nancy
Old 08-03-2010, 02:54 PM

I wonder if the rubber stoppers you are referring to might be the same as the rubber feet that Featherweights have. Maybe if you do a search for places that sell Featherweight parts You could tell by looking at the pictures.