Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Single-fold binding--need advice. >

Single-fold binding--need advice.

Single-fold binding--need advice.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:26 PM

Question Single-fold binding--need advice.

I treated myself to the Simplicity Bias and Piping Machine, and I just started playing with it today. I had NOT realized that the binding it makes is single fold (both outside edges folded in to the middle). It's great binding, but I'm not sure how to attach it to a quilt. I'm used to folding a 2-1/2 inch strip in half, sewing the raw edge to the quilt then folding over and sewing the back down.

The tip that comes with the machine only allows for 2" wide strips, resulting in 1" binding. That might be okay for now, especially as my current project is a small-ish wall hanging. BUT..... I still don't know how to attach it. No amount of You-tube-ing showed me that.

Anybody help me out? Pretty please?
Old 10-18-2014, 12:30 PM

I would be interested in seeing what people have to say too. I thought about that machine but wondered how much I would use it.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

When I applied purchased pre made binding tape, I just opened it up and used the fold line as a sewing guide. Basically aligned the raw edge of the tape and the item, sewed on the fold, folded it over & attached the back by hand. The portion of the back was easy to apply because it was already folded & pressed. Probably not as durable as the doubled, but for light duty items it should hold up OK. I think they do make tips for quilt bindings.
http://www.simplicity.com/p-4156-1-1...-bias-tip.aspx

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 10-18-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:00 PM

It has tips that do the traditional quilting fold.
The machine comes with a 1 inch single fold. You can buy the others. I think they say quilting, but if you look at the end where the fabric feeds in, a quilting fold is sideways. The single fold is centered. It says Quilt binding.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-18-2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: remove copyright image
Old 10-18-2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
When I applied purchased pre made binding tape, I just opened it up and used the fold line as a sewing guide. Basically aligned the raw edge of the tape and the item, sewed on the fold, folded it over & attached the back by hand. The portion of the back was easy to apply because it was already folded & pressed. Probably not as durable as the doubled, but for light duty items it should hold up OK. I think they do make tips for quilt bindings.
http://www.simplicity.com/p-4156-1-1...-bias-tip.aspx
Thanks -- I just tried this with a practice sandwich, and it looks great. It will certainly do, durability wise, for a wall hanging. I might buy that other tip, though, Weezy Rider, just to keep my options open and be able to do double-fold as well. Thank you both.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:41 PM

I bought this, and got the extra quilting tip, I use 2 1/2 inch strips, the machine folds and presses and I have neat double binding with no burnt fingers, its a neat gadget, I also bought the little teeny tiny tips to make 1/8 inch bias binding which is great for applique for edging or for flower stems.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:21 AM

What it makes is actually called double fold binding. Single fold is when just one edge is folded to the center. Binding that's just folded in half is actually called French fold binding.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by notmorecraft View Post
I bought this, and got the extra quilting tip, I use 2 1/2 inch strips, the machine folds and presses and I have neat double binding with no burnt fingers, its a neat gadget, I also bought the little teeny tiny tips to make 1/8 inch bias binding which is great for applique for edging or for flower stems.
The quilting tip says it takes 2-1/4 inch strips. Does it actually work with 2-1/2 inch strips? That'd be great, if there was a little flexibility in it.

Scissor Queen, thanks for the info. There seems to be SO much confusion about which binding type is which. Got it now.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

I always cut my binding 2.25" so this sounds interesting.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by notmorecraft View Post
Did not know this little gadget had all those extras...might consider it on my " what to buy with this darned coupon" shopping spree! BUT, now looking at webiste...it says BIAS...will it do straight cut strips too?

A "siily" thing I did buy once...either clearances or coupons, is a small ironing pad that has a slit on side to feed folded strip into as you iron...comes in handy for those "long" binding strips too.....

Last edited by Geri B; 10-20-2014 at 04:19 AM.