Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sit down long arm >

Sit down long arm

Sit down long arm

Old 06-25-2016, 11:08 PM

Default Sit down long arm

I'm considering purchasing a long arm sit down machine due to lack of space in my home

Looking at Bernina or Gammill and welcome your advice

Thank you

Last edited by FabQuilter; 06-25-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:13 PM

http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/bhqjusppa.html

Bailey's long-arm machines are fantastic. You can't beat the customer service either. I have the Bailey Pro 15 that sits in a custom built table.
Mr. Bailey has his machines sitting in a table similar to an industrial machine set up.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:25 PM

Is this a 15" throat
Old 06-26-2016, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

My friend bought one. Just keep in mind, all you can do is FMQ. From what I can see, the basic table is not big enough to support larger quilts. JMO.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I would check out Innova's sit down machine too.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

How much research and hands on testing have you done? I find it interesting that you have it narrowed down to the two most expensive options currently on the market. Just because something costs the most doesn't necessarily mean it is the best. Because you are in Houston, you may wish to postpone your decision until Houston Quilt market in the fall. Every major manufacturer will be there with demos set up for you to try out. I have a stand up longarm because I am a "move the pencil" quilter (as opposed to move the paper which is what you are doing with a sit down). I also hated the sandwiching process with a white hot passion and that step is eliminated with frame quilting, but you need to have the available space, which you do not. I think you should evaluate every sit down brand available and the Houston show would be the best place to do it. Then you need to decide what features you want the most and what kind of customer support you will get. Make a list of all your pros and cons, what is really important and what you can live without. Many sitdown quilters don't need a stitch regulator. I couldn't quilt as well as I do without one.

Just as important, or even more important than a large throat, is having the needed support for the quilt. A very large table that the machine sits flush in is critical IMHO. In addition to a table, many sit down quilters have set up hanging systems from their ceilings to support the weight of the quilt while FMQ on a sit down mid arm or LA.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:31 AM

I have the Bernina sit down. It has 20 inches of throat space and a table that can extend to 80 inches. I've had it about a year and I love it! Perfect tension, easy to use, easy to wind the bobbin. For some reason the universal needles work better with it.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:45 AM

I have the HQSweet16 sitdown and love it. My table is 3x3 and then my sewing table (old kitchen table at the same height that holds my domestic) is to the left of it with all sorts of stuff on it. I done everything up to a king-sized on it and LOVE it and have no issues with quilt size. Sometimes I just have a desk chair I put on the right side to hold some weight, but usually I can turn the quilt so the bulk is to the left.

That said, I tend to love to move the fabric anyway I want to go and was already using my domestic to FMQ so there was no learning curve. My mind can't wrap itself around only being able to work in a specific rectangle and then having to roll and quilt and roll again. Just not sure how I would be able to do some of the designs that I like to do! My friend also bought this same machine at the Houston IQF a few years before I got mine.

Not everyone loves long arms and frames and moving the machine. But it is my understanding at least with the HQ16 that you could later upgrade to use it on a frame if you wanted.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:08 AM

There are a lot of models. I agree about waiting for the houston quilt market to test available models. people like the sweet 16 a lot. I know the george has been quite popular as well. There is also innova, juki has a model I believe so you might want to try them out and see how they feel
Old 06-27-2016, 04:14 AM

I bought the Simply Sixteen. I'm still learning to use it, but I love the setup! I converted a bedroom to a quilting room.