Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sit/Stand Long arm? >

Sit/Stand Long arm?

Sit/Stand Long arm?

Old 08-13-2020, 03:48 PM

if you have the funds, a long arm with a hydraulic system to adjust the table height would be ideal. I don't have that luxury, so I set it up for my preferred standing height and use a height adjustable stool/chair thing to accommodate when i'm sitting. I prefer to sit when micro quilting. I prefer to stand during larger motifs.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:24 PM
mkc

The hydraulic systems for longarms (like HandiQuilter's and APQS's) do let you raise and lower the frame easily. That said, you need to look at the lowest height the frame can go and see if that is low enough to allow you to sit (perhaps on a saddle stool?) and work at a comfortable height. The hydraulic systems may increase the base height of the frame, so you need to research that as well.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:55 PM

Watson--I find that moving machine over top and not moving top through machine is easier on my back. I use a drafting stool when I'm doing any ruler work/ micro quilting/some FMQ on my long arm and standif it's pantos or "big" FMQ. I don't have it, but you can get a hydraulic raise/lower system on many brands--the only reason I haven't is that the Gammill frame system means you bump into the lowest bar if you tuck in too close, so the drafting stool seems to fit fine.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by RavenBlack View Post
That does help clarify things. You could ask long arm users which machines seem to require less effort to move. I just watched a Leah Day YouTube video about this topic. She said it's much harder on your body to quilt using a domestic machine or one where you move the quilt.
I agree. That's why I invested in a longarm. So much better ergonomically, at least for me. I only sit and quilt when doing very small micro stitching. I actually am more comfortable standing -- even put my piecing machine on a table that raises and lowers so that I can stand when I piece if I want (and I use it that way most of the time)

I would think, if you need to switch back and forth from standing to sitting you would want a model with electric or hydraulic controls for that. I know APQS has that. I almost went for that when I got my LA, but decided on HQ instead.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:45 AM

I know some people use a saddle stool when they want to sit while quilting on a longarm.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:42 AM

The bernina q20 is a good model
Old 08-14-2020, 12:48 PM

I have an Innova with the electric lift, while I’m still learning this system, I find that the ability to adjust the height of the table will make life much easier than manually adjusting the table! I accidentally sold my HQ Fusion and I was seriously debating getting the hydraulic lift for it, as there were many times I needed different heights based on what I wanted to do. I also had a saddle chair for it to sit and quilt. I also believe the Gammill has a hydraulic lift for their machines and I’m sure others do as well. IMHO anything that helps you work more ergonomically and feel better is worthy of the investment.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:41 AM

I have a very old Tin Lizzie on a wooden frame, and I always sit when I use it. You need a chair that will go higher than your average desk chair, and I keep some big blue totes full of fabric under mine..great place to put my feet.
I agree that a hydraulic frame would be the way to go in style..but with a few adjustments you can sit at just about any frame, even though the purists will tell you it's impossible!
Old 08-15-2020, 03:16 PM

I know APQS has the hydraulic lift so the table height can easily be adjusted but even at it's lowest position is probably a bit high for a roller chair....however, It might be worth a call to them as they make the tables and see if you can get a custom made one with shorter legs that can be fitted with the hydraulic lift. I know one of my quilting friends had them make a shorter table width wise then the standard 10, 12, 0r 14 feet ones so that she could easily get it into a trailer to take to shows with.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:11 AM

When I purchased my Q24, I splurged on the hydrolic lift thinking that I could go to a saddle stool somewhere down the road. I don’t often change the height for myself but I have a couple of friends who are shorter than me that use my machine from time to time (before Covid).