Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Six-Hour Quilts..... >

Six-Hour Quilts.....

Six-Hour Quilts.....

Old 03-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Bev

Really nice! I especially like the first one. 8-)
Old 03-04-2011, 05:06 PM

I think a quilt that is faster to make is a strip/tube diagonal pattern.
Cut 8 or 10 (or more) five inch wide strips of fabric the width across fabric selvage to selvage. Sew them all together into a big rectangle. Now sew the top and bottom edges together, right sides inside.
Now you have a tube,
Lay the tube with the strips running straight across your cutting surface, (Line it up with the printed lines.)
Cut the whole tube into five inch vertical strips.
Do NOT pick them up yet.
Pick up the first strip on the left and open the topmost seam with a seam ripper.
Lay that strip on a large flat place.(like a bed) (left end)
take the next strip, look at it and open the next seam dowm,
and lay this strip next to the one on the bed.
Keep doing this, moving one square down until you have opened all the strips, amd laid them on the bed.
YOU SHOULD HAVE A QUILT TOP PATTERN WITH DIAGONAL ROWS OF THE SAME COLOR laying on the bed.
Now sew them all together into a sewed top.
(You will be amazed at how little time this took!!!)
Now finish the back and batting part of the quilt.
You will find directions everywhere....
Don't forget the binding!
Jeannie
Old 03-04-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
By Kaye woods is supposed to take 6 hours. I have not been able to match that time yet. LOL. Maybe reading the pattern takes that long. I have done several now and they are great for Charity quilts. I even find my self putting 4-5 fabrics together for one when I think "that would be a good 6-hour quilt. Is it me or has anyone managed to finish it in 6 hours?????
I've made many and the last ones have come pretty close, except for the binding. I love making those quilts. I met Kaye
Woods at a Martha Pullen sewing school where she put one of those little quilts in no time at all. Of course, everything was cut out already. She is a doll. This little quilt is so cute no matter what fabrics you put together. This is one quilt that I've given with a note that says "This is not an heirloom quilt. Enjoy it. It is for baby to sleep on, play on, pee, poo and puke on. Wash and dry it and it'll be good as new."
Old 03-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
I think a quilt that is faster to make is a strip/tube diagonal pattern.
Cut 8 or 10 (or more) five inch wide strips of fabric the width across fabric selvage to selvage. Sew them all together into a big rectangle. Now sew the top and bottom edges together, right sides inside.
Now you have a tube,
Lay the tube with the strips running straight across your cutting surface, (Line it up with the printed lines.)
Cut the whole tube into five inch vertical strips.
Do NOT pick them up yet.
Pick up the first strip on the left and open the topmost seam with a seam ripper.
Lay that strip on a large flat place.(like a bed) (left end)
take the next strip, look at it and open the next seam dowm,
and lay this strip next to the one on the bed.
Keep doing this, moving one square down until you have opened all the strips, amd laid them on the bed.
YOU SHOULD HAVE A QUILT TOP PATTERN WITH DIAGONAL ROWS OF THE SAME COLOR laying on the bed.
Now sew them all together into a sewed top.
(You will be amazed at how little time this took!!!)
Now finish the back and batting part of the quilt.
You will find directions everywhere....
Don't forget the binding!
Jeannie
I like this quilt too. What I did with the pieced strips was to place 2 strips RST in the middle of batting and backing, then sewed the 2 strips together QAYG. Flipped the one strip over, added another strip and sewed through all four layers (2 strips, batting and backing) I did the flip and sew to the edge, then flipped and sewed from the center to the other outer edge. Next you are ready to bind. I did this with one for my oldest grandson, now 9, and using it for his little brother as well as the 3 little girls in between
Old 03-05-2011, 08:55 AM

Good for you! That is such a good idea. that way of doing it would be even faster.! Thanks for telling me!

I didn't tell it before, but I have taught two, less than six hour long, workshops making quilts using this pattern. One was for kid sized quilts for the local Ronald Mc Donald House at the hospital. Both times, everybody that sewed (not watched) finished their quilts in less than six hours. At the end of the quilt workshop all the ladies took a huge stack of finished quilts to the R.McD house.
The other workshop was for bed sized quilt tops, as well as kid sized,and included a few who had not ever made a quilt before. Those who made their tops in an hour or so made more tops. Jeannie
Old 03-05-2011, 09:00 AM

JPthequilter - wonderful ideas, thanks o much for sharing. I am going to do a tube quilt too. I use that sysytem for bargellos and it saves time. I am loving this post. So many ideas. I noticed lots of us use this for charity quilts, quick and easy. Well, maybe not so quick. ROFL.
I found two kits in my room with non-children fabric and they are going to look great. Can't wait. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:02 AM

Lor6209 - Love your pictures. Thanks for sharing. And each one like mine look so different. Of course the red and black one really catches my eye.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:45 PM

My froggie quilt has found a new owner and will be going there soon. I am so pleased when someone likes a quilt and buys one from me. And others have pm'd me to do one of their own. If anyone else is making one or has made one I hope they share it too by posting their own picture. I always feel like I can't sew enough and when I see other quilts, it's like I accomplished something too. So proud of all my fellow quilters.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:09 AM

Lots of times I make them reversiable.and add a pillow case with them. They are really alot of fun, and they give me a great feel the I am albe to make some one so happy.Thanks for all of the other ideas. Start with a design and just sandwich the back batting and front and sew all together. Lor6209
Attached Thumbnails attachment-118996.jpe   attachment-119116.jpe   attachment-119117.jpe  
Old 03-07-2011, 08:17 AM

O.K. 6 hours to make the quilt but how long to bind it?
Anybody have any ideas about a quick way to bind?