Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Six-Hour Quilts..... >

Six-Hour Quilts.....

Six-Hour Quilts.....

Old 03-03-2011, 04:08 AM

This one took me about 6 hours...... minus the quilter and binding!

it;s a Twisted Turning Twenty
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140793[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-140788.jpe  
Old 03-03-2011, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rabs
if the real world were to stop so I could just sew for a solid 6 hours, maybe!! LOL

realistically, not possible to do in my world
I agree. These women who get these ideas have 6 hours to do it. I do Quilts for Kids that go rather quickly, but still takes me a couple days to get all of it done. Rabs, I used to live in Grand Ledge and spent a lot of my teenage time in Charlotte. Small world!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by coachmatthewsvhs
I think this is beautiful and it looks like it took a lot longer than 6 hours.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by coachmatthewsvhs
Twisted turning twenty? How did you do that? I have the turning twenty pattern. I have done that really quickly! I really like your quilt!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:59 AM
Banned

I will try and find a picture of the "Quick-n-Easy" But to describe it. It is not pieced but rather a single piece of interesting fabric appropriate to kids.
I tare it off at 36x45" or width of fabric.
I then fold it the long way and straighten as I press the center seam. Then fold that in half and press folds well and then again. I then have the piece folded and creased at about 4.5" the long way. These creases are the quilting lines. Sandwich the three layers and pin baste with 1" safety pins.
I then machine quilt in straight line on the creases. Trim all edges to square up. Apply the binding by machine and I then do the hand work while watching tv. I have not machine sewed the binding down which could be done.
Depending on the fabric pattern, it might be possible to use a line or pattern to use for quilting guide.
These are colorful, useful, quick to do and much appreciated. I feel that for quilts like this more is better.
I will usually do them in stages working on about 5 at the time. Cut and fold/press about 5, pin baste them, machine quilt and do the sewing of binding. Then I have a group to work on at night. Not all charity quilts need to be heirlooms.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:03 AM

I see where you just sliced down the middle of each block and turned, much like the dnp!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:28 AM

I have done a quilt in a day. from cutting to wash and dry but it was more like 12 hrs. I know I couldn't do it in 6. I am to slow for that.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:31 AM

If you have the strips of fabric and batting already cut and make a small quilt it can be done in 6 hours.If you have to pick the fabric,cut the strips and then cut the batting , no way for six hours.That is my opinion and am sticking to it . lol
Old 03-03-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
By Kaye woods is supposed to take 6 hours. I have not been able to match that time yet. LOL. Maybe reading the pattern takes that long. I have done several now and they are great for Charity quilts. I even find my self putting 4-5 fabrics together for one when I think "that would be a good 6-hour quilt. Is it me or has anyone managed to finish it in 6 hours?????

I have noticed, the TV sewers such as Nancy Zieman, sew crazy fast. And of course, they have all the room to spread out, tools, etc. to make a project go smoother.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dingle
No way could I do that. It takes me 6 hours just to pick out the fabric! Another 6 if I change my mind. :shock:
more like days and weeks for me. Been known to change my mind more than once. AND I have a friend that even ripped apart a finished top, replaced all the sawtooth borders to each block, added other fabrics and ended up with two gorgeous quilts. Haven't gone that far yet!