Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Six-Hour Quilts..... >

Six-Hour Quilts.....

Six-Hour Quilts.....

Old 03-03-2011, 08:27 AM

Think of it this way. The publisher says, "You gotta shorten the title. Nobody's gonna buy a book titled, So Easy You Can Complete It In Just A Few Hours or Days." What is she to do but make it a 3-word title. We all fall for that one. They have sold a lot of books haven't they? We are such saps for anything that looks EASY.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:41 AM

Many, many years ago, when "Quilt in a Day" first came out, I tried it and decided you could quilt in a day, if a day is 24 hours, if you don't take time to eat, if you don't go to the bathroom. It took me about a week.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I have done a QAYG baby quilt Log cabin style starting with 2 3.5" squares and my serger. I used a bunch of ugly fabric (and in this case ugly + ugly = uglier). It's about 42" square. What I have found is that the seams have pulled apart--careful stitching is essential. I use it in the bottom of the pack n play for when the grands need a place to sleep. And I haven't made another since.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:45 AM

Eleanor Burns got me started with her "quilt in a day." Naive as I was, I believed her. LOL I do think she must be referring to, at most, piecing the top not actually getting the whole thing quilted -- at least not by me.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:49 AM

I love all the comments. Especially the one "if a day is 24 hours, no break, etc." SO funny. And you are right about the teachers having it already done adn ready to go and people doing it all. Makes me feel so much better. I am going to get fabric ready. Get my timer, and the next time I make one, I am going to time, cutting, everything. Should be interesting. Probably very do-able with no interuptions.
Don't forget the book Quilts to do in a weekend. ROFL. NOT!!!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:51 AM

I want to know what kind of time warp she lives in LOL!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:04 AM

Actually, looking at the 6 hour quilt on her site, it doesn't look too hard, but, if that includes cutting, binding and quilting, forget it!!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
Nope. Six hour quilts and Quilt in a Day quilts usually take me a week.
I was always under the impression from watching Eleanor's programs (many years ago) that her "Quilt in a Day" quilts are actually about "piecing the top together in a day", not finish the whole thing in a day. Have I been wrong? If so it was probably trying to comfort myself for
not getting beyond putting the top together in one day.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Moon Holiday
Originally Posted by the casual quilter
Nope. Six hour quilts and Quilt in a Day quilts usually take me a week.
I was always under the impression from watching Eleanor's programs (many years ago) that her "Quilt in a Day" quilts are actually about "piecing the top together in a day", not finish the whole thing in a day. Have I been wrong? If so it was probably trying to comfort myself for
not getting beyond putting the top together in one day.
Well, in my mind if I see "Quilt in a Day" or "6 hour Quilt" I'm thinking the whole thing. Maybe it should be called "Quilt Top in a day" or "6-hour Quilt Top". How many books do you think she would sell if that was the title? It seems like gross mis-representation to me. If a customer comes to me to make a dress for her, I give her a price based on the dress from start to finish. I don't think she would be too happy if I told her that didn't count hemming and hand-stitching facings down.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:14 AM

It's always seemed to me that her qults don't have very much quilting.
Has anyone else had problems with her instructions for the Underground Sampler? It is one of my UFOs because I found the directions very confusing.