Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Size of  "Big Rig" bunk????? >
  • Size of "Big Rig" bunk?????

• Size of "Big Rig" bunk?????

Old 11-10-2010, 03:23 PM

My Husband said when he was in training they taught him that there was a law that stated they had to have white sheets and pillow cases he said didnt matter the color of the blanket though and yes they could get a ticket for not having white ones
    Old 11-10-2010, 03:24 PM

My Husband said when he was in training they taught him that there was a law that stated they had to have white sheets and pillow cases he said didnt matter the color of the blanket though and yes they could get a ticket for not having white ones
    Old 11-10-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by jayelee
    All I can say is I want to see that call in print!! I will not say maybe the company is trying to enforce some kind of a so call dress code on the bunks! But I beleive the Marshall's first who have worked at this for years and enforce the laws, and there are no such they know of. I drove for 14 years and been off the road the last 5 to take care of mom, she recently passed, but hubby still drives. Dick retired last year as a U.S. Marshall but keeps up with the laws because he drives part time now himself. He knows of no such law. And if some one actually has a real legitimate in print of this law he wants a copy of it!! SAo I wait for some one to show me a legimate print of this!!
    Old 11-10-2010, 04:31 PM

I have the current Federal D.O.T. book as well as the guys and no such thing in the book!!
    Old 11-10-2010, 04:36 PM

Secondly as all drivers know they must have a good reason or suspicion to get into your truck to search, which is usually a drug dog alerting to possible drugs. A cop D.O.T. included can not just say I want to look in your truck. They may ask, and you may let, but they must have a legitimate reason to get in your truck. Just stopping you for for a traffic violation is not enough. Not even an inspection at a weigh station is enough. An alert from a drug dog, while inspecting and then a refusasl to allow a search will get your truck impounded and handcuffs while they get the paperwork to search!!
    Old 11-10-2010, 04:52 PM

Just got a call from Dick. He said Connecticut had a law that drivers carry white sheets. It was taken off the books well over 10 years ago. The reason being a driver came upon an accident and the only white sheet he had was dirty on his bed., and the person received a staph infection from from being wrapped up in it. The law no longer exists. Tho they prefer a driver use a CLEAN white sheet to cover a body or wrap an accident victim in, a clean sheet period is preferred!! He called about this law to some of his friends still working in the Marshall's Office and after a good laugh about all this, he said Babe it's just like when you ask is it snowing when you have to drive the passes and ask will I need to chain. And tho it is dry and dusty, someone tells you the roads are closed ahead!! And the trucks are jack knifed all over the roads! I would shut down if I was you!! Like he said , uninformed people or jokesters starting propaganda. and rumors. If I told you your filth wheel was flat, would you pullover to check it!!?? Most newbies would.
    Old 11-10-2010, 05:03 PM

I sure want to know where you have to have matching sheets in your bunk. My brother and nephews drive coast to coast, and I will ask. Never saw a flat fifth wheel!
    Old 11-10-2010, 06:00 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Here is what he said: the law does state you need 2 sets of white sheets in your truck but the blanket or comforter or quilt can be what ever color. Reason being is if you come up on an accident and need to cover a body. You will be ticketed by some DOT officers that are out to prove themselves to be big shots otherwise most don't care. My father has driven trucks for 40 years. So you can take what he told me or you can leave it, I don't really care. Like most things this can be argued til the end of time and everyone will have a difference of opinion. That what makes the world go round. :-)
    Old 11-10-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Here is what he said: the law does state you need 2 sets of white sheets in your truck but the blanket or comforter or quilt can be what ever color. Reason being is if you come up on an accident and need to cover a body. You will be ticketed by some DOT officers that are out to prove themselves to be big shots otherwise most don't care. My father has driven trucks for 40 years. So you can take what he told me or you can leave it, I don't really care. Like most things this can be argued til the end of time and everyone will have a difference of opinion. That what makes the world go round. :-)
    That is basically what Dick said. I agree with you. And yes, they can be jerks, especially since cell phones are so abundant now it doesn't take long for help to arrive on the scene of an accident. Tho I am sure no one would refuse to help someone in an accident , unfortuantely some times some one who tries to aid a victim , unfortunately gets sued by the victim, or their family., and become a victim themselves. I have fortunately in my past only had to throw a sheet over one person, due to severe weather conditions in PA.Because the driver was already deceased they responded only to victims who were still alive, and needing medical attention . The driver had suffered a major heart attack we found out later, but his wounds were not bleeding from accident like a living person would have been, and attempts to revive him did not work. Fortunately his family was not the suing kind, and his wife later thanks the drivers for trying to bring him back. And I did not want that sheet back after, by the way.
    Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
    I sure want to know where you have to have matching sheets in your bunk. My brother and nephews drive coast to coast, and I will ask. Never saw a flat fifth wheel!
    You see the flat fifth wheel everytime you unhook from a trailor. That is what attaches to the trailor when you slide the truck under the trailor and locks the kingpin in place so you can haul the trailor. Then you hook up the air hoses for the brakes, to the back of the cab., to the trailor.