Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which size rulers are a must? >

Which size rulers are a must?

Which size rulers are a must?

Old 10-15-2013, 05:20 AM

Default Shape cut

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
The ruler I actually use the most, would be my June Tailor Shape Cut. I use it to cut strips and to trim blocks. With a regular ruler, my cuts often varied by several threads, depending upon which side of the mat line, I placed my ruler. With the shape cut, there's no guessing. As for regular rulers, I don't really have a favorite but do like the fact that my 36" reaches all the way across my cutting board.
I'm with you on this. I can't cut a straight line to save my life. I do EVERYTHING with shape cut unless it's a circle or other special template. I sprung for the SC plus. It's a little wider. The pro looks intriguing at 20x23 with 1/8 slots but I don't do a lot of traditional quilting and at its price I'm holding off on that for awhile. There are demos on the June Taylor website showing how to do geometric shapes in all sizes and dimensions. I've almost worn out the 12x12!
Old 10-15-2013, 07:35 AM

The ones I use the most are my 6" x 24", my 6-1/2" square, and my big square one (think it may be 16"). Any others I have are ones that pertain to special shapes, like 60• triangle, set of semicircles, etc. that come in handy for specific uses.
I would like to get the next size up from the 6"x24" for cutting wider fabric. Not an essential but I would find it helpful and would use it regularly if I had it.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

My favorite ruler is 6"x 24" and the 8.5" square. I am doing a lot of simple charity quilt, I find myself making 8.5" blocks.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by marand View Post
Which size rulers should every quilter have? I am restocking my quilting room and only want one brand of ruler. I think I am going with creative grids. What size is a MUST HAVE for you and why?
MA
Hi marand, I would say the 6''x 12'' and the 12'' square to start with, followed by the 61/2 square. So many of the other rulers are really not needed. Letty xx
Old 10-15-2013, 09:22 AM

Creative Grids are my favorite, size 6.5 x 18 and 12.5 square are my always go to. I think I have every size in the Creative Grids and use most of them.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
For decades the rulers I have used the most are:
6" x 24" for cutting long strips, mitering borders, and helping to square up the long sides of quilt tops
6" x 12" for cutting shorter strips, subcuts, and just about any other task
8" That Patchwork Place Bias Square ruler for HSTs, squaring bu block segments, cutting snowball squares, keeping each round of a log cabin block square, etc.
12.5" square ruler or larger for squaring larger blocks, squaring up finished tops, etc.

Jan in VA
Well these are the rulers I use the most as well. In fact I have doubles just in vase.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:58 AM

I'm just getting started, and I had a 6 x 24 I bought secondhand, then a couple of years ago I got Omnigrid square ones some of which came in a set. I have squares 2-1/2", 4-1/2", 6-1/2", 9-1/2", and 12-1/2". I also got a 4 x 14 because it seemed like it would be handy when I didn't need to drag out the 6 x 24. I'm cutting squares in anticipation of making my first Four Patch top.

Triangles are beginning to intrigue me as the next step and I'm eyeing the Fons & Porter ones that have markings for both half-square and quarter-square triangles. Hoping JoAnn's has them in stock at the same time I have the best coupons!

At some point, too, I'm going to need to look into getting a bigger and nicer mat. I have a mini mat which works good for cutting small pieces, and a mid sized June Taylor one that's okay but I'd like a nice Olfa or Fiskars. Finding a space to put it where I live is a challenge, though, as I share space with a roommate and some "inquisitive" kitty cats . . .

Last edited by CrazyQuiltBunny; 11-03-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:29 AM

For half sq triangles the Quilt In A Day triangle square up ruler is a must have. ONE cut. I always make mine larger then square up so they always come out perfect. Fons and Porter are much more time consuming to make. I have it but do not even use it.
For 2 1/2 in sqs use 2- 6 in squares right sides togather draw an x sew 1/4 one each side, cut in half both ways then on lines. Makes 8. Add two in for each size larger.
Attached Thumbnails uncut-triangle-2-.jpg  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:57 AM

Well, I bought the Fons & Porter triangle this weekend. And then - since I'm a newbie - experienced "that awkward moment when" I was looking up triangles online and kept running into the reality of how that bias side of the triangle might stretch during cutting and sewing. And how most people make them by sewing two squares together then cutting.

Thing is, though, I may be using it to cut individual triangles from scrappy bits of fabric. Is there anything I can do to make sure the triangles don't distort on that bias edge?