Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: size?

Blog Entries
    Is there a block size that is the "standard"? What size block is most commonly used? What size do you prefer? I have been using 4 and 8 inch but a lot of books say 12"? That seems huge to me!

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    I use the 6 1/2 inch template to size my blocks.. but the new pinwheel method utube make is a big larger. don't know why. but love the finishe product !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK5cxGbiabM

I use whatever works for what I am making, or whatever the pattern calls for. I don't think there is standard size. I like the larger blocks as to me they are easier to piece and it takes less to complete a top.

Blog Entries
    No standard...i am making one now that has a bunch of different block sizes. 6 inch to 18 inch. Can't wait to see how they all go together.

I mostly make 4", 6", or 8" blocks, and very occasionally 10". I agree, 12" is just way too big for my taste, but most of my quilts are smaller than 75"x75" and smaller blocks allow for more pattern development.

I don't believe ther is a standard size, either. i also do all size blocks. However, 12.5" blocks are my favorite, as it takes less of them to complete a quilt.

I agree with others I don't think there is a standard. I am working on one right now (well have been working on it for a while) that has 14.5" unfinished blocks.

My grandma is rolling over in her grave but I never measure my blocks. I sort of do an eye ball approach with the finished products. I have thought of buying the big squares they sell to make sure they are the right size. I seem to adjust the slack when I sew them together.

I love the 12" unfinished block. Most of my quilts are queen or king size. I don't like working with little pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I mostly make 4", 6", or 8" blocks, and very occasionally 10". I agree, 12" is just way too big for my taste, but most of my quilts are smaller than 75"x75" and smaller blocks allow for more pattern development.
    Ditto! But I have made larger quilts with the smaller blocks also. I much prefer the detail you get with the smaller ones.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Many of the swaps use the 12.5" (unfinished) size and I like it.

Blog Entries
    I am doing 12 and 18 inch blocks and I always thought it would be huge...but they have a lot of pieces so its really nice...I think you you make a plain block it would be big but if you are piecing one it looks great.
    Quote Originally Posted by mona202
    Is there a block size that is the "standard"? What size block is most commonly used? What size do you prefer? I have been using 4 and 8 inch but a lot of books say 12"? That seems huge to me!
    This one is 18 inch block
    Name:  Attachment-172415.jpe
Views: 7
Size:  67.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Many of the swaps use the 12.5" (unfinished) size and I like it.
    My quilt guild uses 12.5" unfinished for most swaps. Last year they used 6.5" and most people didn't like doing them. The smaller the block the harder that it is to put together. We've gone back to the large size for this year.

Pam M