Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sizing spray >

Sizing spray

Sizing spray

Old 01-13-2007, 03:50 AM

Well I used my sizing last night. It does make the fabric nice and crisp, it cuts easier and the edges don't seem to fray as quickly. I have never starched my fabric for quilting so it may feel and work the same but I will always use sizing now. I have also heard that some kind of bugs (silverfish I think ) are attracted to starch. So am I.. potatoes, bread, cake,cookies ........................ and so on. LOL
kathy
Old 01-13-2007, 08:40 AM

Hi , just to add a little more about the starch question. I always use spray starch on my fabric before cutting and some times in the block assembly process as well. I don't think the sizing keeps the fabric stiff unough for me. For a beginer I warn them to never cut or sew a triangle with bias edges with out having starched the fabric first. It keeps the bias from streching and when you are pressing seams to go a certain direction for assembly it really keeps them where you want them to be. As for the bug question I have heard that the old fashion starch that grandma used by cooking up water and corn starch was what attracted the bugs. I have never had a problem with the new stuff in the can and have used it for many years.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Suz

Regarding the bugs: I'll get my can and see if there is an 800 number and give the manufacturer a call. Not today, on Monday and see what they have to say. Suzanne
Old 01-13-2007, 05:06 PM

http://www.equilters.com/library/tips-hows/starch1.html

I just googled "spray starch and bugs" and this site came up. Wow! Lots of comments on using starch on quilt projects and some on bugs, silver fish.

These are comments by quilters and goes right along with this topic.

Okay, I've got to go read some more but was excited when I found this. Love to see what others are saying.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:25 AM

I read through it and most use it and caution about bugs. I think it boils down to,If you are going to store your quilt make it as c hemical free as possible.
I have just started pre washing and hadn't given thought to the backing.I am using a sheet this time and will starch if needed
Thank you , that was interesting
Old 01-15-2007, 12:28 PM

Hey Kathy, you sure did get a lot of replies from one little question. I am new to this site as of a few minutes ago, and browsing it has been such fun....I personally LOVE to use sizing, especially with small size fabrics which are used in Paper Piecing patterns...they are so crisp and much easier to work with. I live in Hawaii and have trouble with the high humidity...makes the material "limp" ......anybody else have this problem... and solutions for them? Aloha, Carol
Old 01-16-2007, 10:56 AM

Please forgive me if this sounds rude but why on earth would you pay what we do for nice fabric and go to all the work of making a quilt top only to back it with a bedsheet! Even if you have to piece the back (which l prefer), It will look so mich nicer and last so much longer. Your efforts need to be showcased = front and back.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Suz

Crickett,
I think your respose is in the wrong thread. This one is on sizing spray.

However, I do agree with you. I would never use a sheet for backing. I prefer to either piece or have a print on the back of my quilts. Suzanne
Old 01-17-2007, 09:43 AM

I understand your correcting me Suz. However, i was responding to
Ruth Camp who said she was using a sheet for backing her quilt. She did say this in the Sizing/Spray starch discussion area. I should have directed my response to her specifically.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:57 PM

Sizing spray and spray starch are not the same. If you want sizing, I would use "Magic Sizing". I don't use starch. But sizing is easy to use. I did a "Block of the Month" type thing with a quilt shop. The fabric was really thin and I had a hard time piecing with it. After I added the sizing, it was much firmer and easier to use; without having a paper like quality to it as you'll find with spray starch.