Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sizing/starching fabric >

sizing/starching fabric

sizing/starching fabric

Old 01-09-2012, 07:03 AM

Default sizing/starching fabric

The article for today is on sizing/starching fabric and talks about the difficulty of starching and ironing. That makes me wonder how many of you can remember when you starched and ironed your clothes? It wasn't considered difficult at all. We used to spend several hours a week ironing heavily starched clothes. They looked really great when we were wearing them.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:08 AM

I don't find starching fabric to be difficult at all. I find sewing and cutting unstarched fabric to be more problematic. I do remember my mom boiling water to dissolve the starch, and immersing all the clothing in the starch water. I have yet to find that good old fashioned starch, but love the convienience of the liquid starch concentrate.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

i don't understand any *difficulty* starching fabric- my sewing room would be (lost) without my can of starch on the end of the ironing board...i've been starching fabrics for 45+ years.
why is there any difficulty???
Old 01-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I remember my mom starching clothes, then putting them into a pillowcase, and keeping them in the fridge. She took it out when she had time to iron them. The clothes always looked great. Crisp and no wrinkles-much different from today's younger folks' stuff!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Banned

The few times I've starched a block it was no trouble ironing
I rarely starch or size in my quilting
And, no one in my home ever used it when I was growing up. Which probably contributes to my lack of use now.

Last edited by gollytwo; 01-09-2012 at 07:36 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-09-2012, 07:53 AM

When I was young, my mother stayed home with my brother and me. My father was an over the road truck driver. My mother took in laundry for others. I remember her starching (Niagra) everything cotton, including the sheets. I also remember she had an old 7 up bottle (16 oz) that had a silver thing on the end with holes that she used to sprinkle the clothes with water before she starched and ironed.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

i find that the difficulty occurs when i 'iron' instead of 'press'. with starched yardage, it's not that much of an issue. when it is a block or block piece, it is too easy to iron it out of shape. i must be more careful to PRESS, not iron.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 AM

This is my problem, I need to learn to press and not iron. I have started using starch more often then before and it helps when I cut.

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i find that the difficulty occurs when i 'iron' instead of 'press'. with starched yardage, it's not that much of an issue. when it is a block or block piece, it is too easy to iron it out of shape. i must be more careful to PRESS, not iron.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I don't find starching fabric to be difficult at all. I find sewing and cutting unstarched fabric to be more problematic. I do remember my mom boiling water to dissolve the starch, and immersing all the clothing in the starch water. I have yet to find that good old fashioned starch, but love the convienience of the liquid starch concentrate.
Some brands of powdered laundry starch have been discontinued, but Argo brand is still available. Why not just make your own. 2 Tbs corn starch, 1 pint water, shake and spray. If you wanted the old cooked kind just heat to boiling while stirring, but then it doesn't spray well and you would have to dip like mom used to. If the smell is important to you, add some essential oil to it. Did you know that many commercial starches have formaldehyde in them?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:22 AM

When DH was in the military I HATED starching and ironing clothes. I completely disagree with the original statement "it wasn't considered difficult at all" - everyone complained about it. (And the new BDUs they got don't require it anymore...)

I starch my quilt backs though- it makes a huge difference in how they glide when quilting. I plan to start starching my yardage before cutting for the next quilt, to see if it helps me in piecing.

I don't mind starching things that are flat- I don't think it is difficult at all.

I do have a problem with pressing vs ironing. I guess I don't get it. Teachers always say be careful to not iron, and then when you watch them- they sure look like they are ironing to me...