Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Skipped stitches?? Help!

Blog Entries
    I am trying to do simple, straight line echo quilting on a charity quilt. My FW, which I use for everything is skipping stitches when I try this. I sew anything else, it sews fine. Tried my 328, it did the same thing????? On both machines, I re-threaded, put in new needle, no change. I have never used polyester batting before - could this be the cause? I only bought the batting because it was on sale. Any ideas or suggestions?
    PS I am using a walking foot!

I had a similar problem and put in a new needle. It didn't help, so I removed the needle, put in another new one and made certain the needle was lined up correctly.It worked. I think sometimes even the new manufactured needles may have defects. Also, remove cover plate and use a brush to clean possible dust or thread. Puta drop of oil in the wheel that holds your bobbin.

Quote Originally Posted by lovelyl
    I am trying to do simple, straight line echo quilting on a charity quilt. My FW, which I use for everything is skipping stitches when I try this. I sew anything else, it sews fine. Tried my 328, it did the same thing????? On both machines, I re-threaded, put in new needle, no change. I have never used polyester batting before - could this be the cause? I only bought the batting because it was on sale. Any ideas or suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sew happy
    I had a similar problem and put in a new needle. It didn't help, so I removed the needle, put in another new one and made certain the needle was lined up correctly.It worked. I think sometimes even the new manufactured needles may have defects. Also, remove cover plate and use a brush to clean possible dust or thread. Puta drop of oil in the wheel that holds your bobbin.

Quote Originally Posted by lovelyl
    Thanks! Now that you mention it, it is time for my FW's oil and lube. I was just perplexed because it happened with two machines. I will clean and oil when I get home today and see if that helps.

Are you using the same walking foot on both? Maybe another common link.

Maybe you need a different size needle.

Blog Entries
    The same thing happened with my 301. I took off the slide plate and I swear, there was a carpet of lint!! Now, I am sure to clean it after every project!!

Blog Entries
    First thing that popped into my little brain . . . LINT and clean. Second is the needle.

I have had skipped stitches from some fabrics--especially the white on white that feels slightly rubbery and I know I had a bad batting that was eating thread and burping out birdseed. I think the quality control person was sleeping that day at the factory.

I always try a bigger needle when I get skipped stitches. That usually works for me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much for all your suggestions! Will work on it tomorrow!

Whenever this happens on my Featherweight, it is the machine telling me that something like lint or thread is affecting the height of the stitch. I found a big wad of lint on the feed dogs under the throat plate once and lint gathered in the bobbin case another time.