Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Skipped stitches >

Skipped stitches

Skipped stitches

Old 10-11-2022, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

I do FMQ most of the time and avoid going through intersections by doing a circle or around them.

I don't know about straight line stitching. If I have a problem sewing on a binding I will tighten the pressure foot and tug slowly to get pass the spot. Good luck I hope you figure it out.
Old 10-12-2022, 08:04 PM

It could be like someone else mentioned, the machine may need the timing adjusting. One timing setting that makes a big difference with skipped stitches is the "needle/hook distance." If there's a big space between the needle and the hook, as the needle is on it's way up, that can be closed (unless it's a cheap Brother without an internal frame). There should only be 1 thread's width of space between the needle and the hook.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:46 AM

In the garment sewing world, people use a hump jumper or a Jean a ma jig to go over bulky seams. I don’t really know how to explain it here, but I’m sure if you google them, you’ll come across tonnes of information about how they work, and see if they might help solve your current problem.
Old 10-19-2022, 02:26 PM

Try a jeans-a-ma-jig. You tuck it in behind the presserfoot to lift it over the hump made by several thicknesses of fabric, I go t set on Amazon and they were different sizes and thicknesses. I used one when sewing masks where I had 8 layers of fabric.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:03 PM

It took me a while to get round to tackling this one again but when I did, I tried a couple of your suggestions and increasing the presser foot pressure worked!!! It still did it in a few places and I had to go back and to unpick, re-do and go extra carefully through them but wow such a difference!

Thank you everyone who offered suggestions! A few I hadn't heard of which I'll keep in mind in future too
Old 11-20-2022, 06:13 PM

I find that when I have skipped stitches in machine quilting, if I lower my quilting pressure foot lower to the fabric so that it barely brushes against it, I no longer get the skipped stitches.. I notice that when the fabric has space to bounce, it will skip stitches. So I'm thinking that if your pressure foot was down close enough to the fabric to let you go over the thicker seams with ease (in moving over it) then it probably isn't down close enough overall.

So, coming up to a thicker seam, the fabric will bounce more, and again right after it.