Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Skipped stitches >

Skipped stitches

Skipped stitches

Old 10-10-2022, 12:35 PM

Default Skipped stitches

Hoping someone has some advice on skipped stitches that I haven't thought of or seen elsewhere because I feel like I've tried everything at this point!

I'm quilting a throw-sized quilt with a walking foot on my Brother PQ1500SL. I've done lots of piecing with it and quilted a table runner but this is the first time I've used it for a proper quilt. When I quilt through thicker areas (triangle points) my machine skips several stitches before/after the seam. Seams within the rows are pressed to the side and the seams connecting the rows are pressed open and as flat as I could get them with a tailor's clapper. I've attached an image to illustrate. I got a rare skipped stitch on the table runner but nothing like this.

So far I've tried making sure there is no drag around the quilt (set up on a big L-table, nowhere the quilt can snag), increasing the stitch length (3.0), going suuuper slow through those areas, re-threading and cleaning out the machine, checking the walking foot is properly installed, fresh needles (quilting, microtex and jeans), a larger needle size (up to 16), and lessening up on the presser foot pressure (I'm in the pink zone on the machine's guide).

I'm kinda out of ideas and so tired of picking out my quilting! My next call is to take it in to see if they can find anything mechanically wrong with it. But before I do...is there anything I haven't thought of??? Thanks so much for any and all advice!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 10-10-2022, 01:21 PM

I’m not sure if this would change the skipped stitches, but what about checking the thread tension?
Old 10-10-2022, 02:36 PM

Have you tried shortening the stitch a bit? Or turning the wheel by hand through those thick seam areas? You said you did try a bigger needle which should help prevent the needle flexing. umm, I have had the quilt hit the wall behind my machine and prevent the quilt from moving forward smoothly. I used to have my mother help me keep the quilt moving smoothly as it is so easy for the weight of the quilt to keep the quilt from moving easily and evenly.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:01 PM
Gay

Have you cleaned out the bobbin area totally? I had this issue a few weeks ago so got rid of all the dust bunnies and put in a jeans needle, and no more problems.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:47 PM

Skipped stitches can almost always be solved by using a larger needle, especially when quilting. They're caused by needle flex, which happens when pushing/pulling something thick and heavy through the machine. As the needle flexes, it misses the bobbin thread and you skip stitches.

Try a size 18. And before anyone freaks out about the size of the needle holes, size 18 is STANDARD for longarm quilting. If you've ever quilted by check, it's highly likely the needle was a size 18.
Old 10-10-2022, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

If all else fails, I have threaded a hand needle with matching thread and hand connected the threads. I put my needle in beside where the stitch should be, go through to the other side going over the bottom thread and coming back up on the other side of the top thread where I went in. I then tie a knot and run the needle through the sandwich to the next spot where the stitch should be. It takes time but it can be done and knotting the hand thread and burying the ends make it appear like normal stitching.
Old 10-10-2022, 04:35 PM

Sometimes when going over thick seams, I slow down (or even stop and raise and lower the foot) just before the thick seam. It will readjust the presser foot. Another option is to try to use a top stitch needle - it has a longer groove and a larger eye. Good luck
Old 10-10-2022, 05:42 PM

It looks like the walking foot is a long straight foot. It looks like it happens before and after the seem when the foot is at an angle. I thought I had seen a video or web page describing what happens when you come up to a seam. I can't find it now. It is generally regarding heavy denim seams, but I wonder if that could also happen with a walking foot. Some have used cardboard, folded fabric or a designated tool to raise the back of the foot when coming to a seam. Once the foot is on top, you need to place it in front of the needle but not stitch into the whatever you are using. You need to keep the foot parallel to the bed until it is past the seam.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:41 PM

If you look for a tutorial on using a "Seam Jack" or "Jeans Jack," it may be what Janey is describing.

I've had some luck with tightening the tensions.

Good Luck!
Old 10-11-2022, 04:14 AM

I had a very similar problen last year with a Janome. Nothing I tried eliminated random skipped stitches, and they were more frequent where the seams met. I finally packed it up until I had time to get it to the dealer. The repair technician had to make some adjustments that were covered under warranty, despite it being well out of warranty. Now it's sewing beautifully. Don't bang your head against that wall too long... it may be the machine. Also when sewing through thick layers I increase my presser foot pressure.