Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Slightly annoyed with my self

So I posted pictures of my rail fence quilt back in December/January. I am a mother of a wonderful 5 year old, a wife, and I am currently attending college. I have one week off of school starting yesterday. I thought since I haven't sewn for 5 or 6 months it was time I get my stuff back out this week. I pinned about 100 pairs of strips together last night to be sewn tonight. I proceed to sew one set of strips together, and I have pinned them backwards ALL OF THEM. Instead of pinning them front to front, I pinned them back to back. Now I get to repeat the step I made last night, only the right way. *sigh* needed to vent!

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmayf2007
    So I posted pictures of my rail fence quilt back in December/January. I am a mother of a wonderful 5 year old, a wife, and I am currently attending college. I have one week off of school starting yesterday. I thought since I haven't sewn for 5 or 6 months it was time I get my stuff back out this week. I pinned about 100 pairs of strips together last night to be sewn tonight. I proceed to sew one set of strips together, and I have pinned them backwards ALL OF THEM. Instead of pinning them front to front, I pinned them back to back. Now I get to repeat the step I made last night, only the right way. *sigh* needed to vent!
    Well,, look at it this way,,, you already have the pins,,you do not have to pick them up again,, :oops: and!!!! practice makes perfect,,,right?

sorry seriously though,,I know it sucks!!!

Thank you, it does suck, but you are right, at least the pins are already there :oops:

I'm sorry that you lost a day of sewing, I hope tomorrow is better for you!

Awww man! I hate it when that happens.

Blog Entries
    I am sorry (((HUGS)))
    I am happy that you noticed BEFORE you sewed them all :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I am sorry (((HUGS)))
    I am happy that you noticed BEFORE you sewed them all :wink:
    That would be what my hubby said LOL!

oh man! I feel for you. That just hurts.

Blog Entries
    i feel your pain.

i always discover mistaks like that after i've already sewn them together.

see? you're already a step ahead on the learning curve. :thumbup:

Ohhhh I could tell you some of my sewing bloopers but it would take toooo long. :thumbup:

Bright side--- You didn't sew them that way.

LOL, I always do that stuff if I try to work on things late at night....think my mind is half asleep!

Banned
    Why don't you make a square of the backward sewing and one of the right side sewing for the back and call them Before After. You can have a lot of fun explaining what they mean.

On the other hand you can make the entire quilt backwards and call it Creativity. I've done the same thing as you but certainly not to the extent. Usually mine is one or two strips in the middle of a queen size quilt.

oh... sorry. I've made similar mistakes. Try so hard to be more careful also!!

JJs
    Banned
    look at it this way - with this forum you at least know you aren't the only one that's ever done that....
    as Patrice said, I usually discover it's wrong AFTER I've sewn it....

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Awwwwwwww what a bummer!!! I've done that more than I care to remember!! BIG HUGS to you and hope the rest of your week off is lots better :)

Pam
    Wow, good save, some time lost, but way better than getting THAT up close and personal with your sem ripper. Your dog is too cute, was she helping?

Blog Entries
    oh no, that is aweful, rip rip rip

Aren't you brave! (for owning up to the mistake) And you have my blessings. I am such a clutz. I bolt into a project, thinking I have studied it out, layed it out, arranged and second checked everything. Then.....I sew, Happy and singing in my soul. As soon as I feel confident and look down, I see disaster. I have a sister inlaw who always wants to know about my disasters, like sewing the strips the wrong side. Until her baby became four years old, I thought that is the most perfect person. She made curtains for her bedroom and they looked perfect. That little girl told me that her mom said the nasty word and went to Penney's to get the curtains !!!! sheesh! I like it MY WAY, don't you? Keep at it, you'll have it done in no time at all. Blessings, Ruth

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't pin strips together at all before sewing! I "finger pin", just holding the strips together with my fingers. I place the strips together, put them under the presser foot, perhaps take a couple of stitches to secure them, then "finger pin" about 10 inches from the needle, holding the strips together with my fingers as they are fed to the needle. My other hand guides the fabric. When my fingers get close to the needle, I stop and "finger pin" again. It saves a lot of time!

Also, I have placed a seam guide next to my needle so I don't have to sweat the perfect scant 1/4-inch seam. I stack pieces of moleskin (found in the foot department of drugstores) so I can but the strips up against this stop as I sew. Allows me to sew much faster with less eye stress and greater accuracy.

Thank you everyone for your support, it is good to know I am not alone LOL. I like the "finger pin" idea, I think I might try that. This rail fence quilt is my first quilt ever, and I have been told I am brave to tackle such a complex design the first try? very tedious, but very pretty. :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing. Now I know that I am human when I do things like that.

This is my new life motto: Coffee makes it possible to get out of bed, and CHOCOLATE makes it worthwhile.

Hope you can make up your lost time.

Darren

I think we have all done this at one time or other. Take some deep breaths and think some pleasant thoughts, how beautiful the quilt will be, how great it will be when you start to sew the strips, getting another chance to fondle the fabric and think what a great job you did in selecting it.

thinking of you and it will be a great quilt.

We have all been there one time or another. It still is frustrating. Sigh.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast