Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
slump >

slump

slump

Old 04-07-2011, 06:16 AM

Sometimes we sew so much that the brain just needs a break. Relax and the desire will come back and you will be right back in there and at it again.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by barney
I am in a slump now caused by a baby quilt for my unborn grand daughter. I did a lot of machine embroidery on it and used a quilt as you go method so it is stiff and heavy. I put many many hours on it and I feel like I can't send it as it is so bad. Maybe I will just go buy one!!!

We are our own worst critcs. Throw a sleeve on the back and it can be used as a wall hanging or a quilt depending on the weather. Maybe after its washed it will soften up some.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:43 PM

Hey man. We can not let you think quilting is a sissy thing. You have a responsability for other men that quilt . So ,please if its only an eyeglass cae or a book cover. Make something simple but DO IT. We will be waiting for you. We all get down at times. Just pull on the boot straps. We will not give up on you . The world needs every man quilter we can get. Am sending you a warm hug. Feel better soon.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:16 PM

Hey, don't feel bad, I haven't sat at my machine for way over two weeks. I am spending the entire day tomorrow sewing on my daughter's wedding quilt. I have been so busy with her shower, company and work that I havent' even thought about it.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:26 PM

Try just telling yourself that you are only going to work on something for 15 minutes.... set a timer.... Once you get going the timer will have gone off and you will still be sewing. Good Luck.

I'm fighting this too, but it's not sewing. I have to get my taxes done... running out of time here... but here I am on the computer and there they sit on the coffee table in the loving room.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:47 PM

Get outside, alot. Turn on music when you are awake, with a tempo atleast equal to your heartbeat, preferably faster like riverdance or salsa. Look to nature for inspiration. Actually read the last quilt book or art book you bought.

8-) These work for me
Old 04-07-2011, 04:55 PM

Don't force yourself. That's the worst thing a person can do.
Maybe you're really just depressed that my Indians kicked your Red Sox around a few games ;)
Old 04-07-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by barney
I am in a slump now caused by a baby quilt for my unborn grand daughter. I did a lot of machine embroidery on it and used a quilt as you go method so it is stiff and heavy. I put many many hours on it and I feel like I can't send it as it is so bad. Maybe I will just go buy one!!!
Try washing it and drying it a couple of times first....
should soften it up ....J
Old 04-08-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Sometimes we all need a break. When I get in a slump I try to do just one little quilting related task each day. It might be straightening up my sewing area, cleaning my sewing machine, sewing one or two seams, re-arranging my fabric. Stuff like that. And try not to feel guilty. It'll come back.
Sounds like me - then I download a new book on the IPOD to listen to while quilting, and away I go - especially if it's an Elm Street Quilters book, and I'm doing FMQ.