Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Small Crazy Quilt- What Next? >

Small Crazy Quilt- What Next?

Small Crazy Quilt- What Next?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:43 AM

I thought I would try just a very small (11"x8") crazy quilt to see if I would like doing it. I really do and I have a lot of other ideas of how I would like to make the next one but, I have run into a problem that I never even thought about. What's next? I mean how do I finish the borders/sides. I mean I don't know that I could do borders because I put everything clear to the edge of the foundation fabric. I don't know what it would look like if I tried to frame it with a mat maybe. I just don't know. I am at a loss at the moment. Does it look like it needs anything else added to it? I would really appreciate some imput as to what you talented ladies think. I take constructive criticism very well so let me have it, please. I can only get better when I am given suggestions by the best. Thanks ladies, have a great Memorial Day Weekend

First sample crazy quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]203751[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-203745.jpe  
Old 05-29-2011, 08:00 AM

Gorgeous colors. You could still add more embellishments if you desire. You can still add a border around the edge, looks like the pearls will be sewn over, but it still should work.
Lesson for next project, keep heavy embellishments from the edge. But lace and trims I take out to the edge for the border to cover the ends.
See my site for more examples!Click to see the current edition of the Quilted Paradise Digest
I would say you are on your way to a new passion! I have been cq-ing for about 13 years now. if you have any other questions you can pm and i will see what I can do for you!
Happy Stitching
Old 05-29-2011, 08:02 AM

My DGM only put a binding on her crazy quilts. Nothing drew your eye away from her fancy stiching!
Old 05-29-2011, 08:09 AM

I think your little crazy quilt is just lovely. The variety of fabric textures is very appealing to me and of course the colors. :-D

Just an idea to ponder---If you really get excited about making these "little" quilts, consider donating one to Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initative http://www.alzquilts.org/ . The quilts can be no larger than 9" x 12". Some are auctioned each month and some have a fixed price. This whole idea was started by Ami Simms, a big time quilter whose mother suffered from Alzheimers. ALL of the proceeds go to research to find a cure.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:17 AM

You might want to put a lightweight fusible nonwoven interfacing on the back of any stretchy fabrics so they don't stretch and look loose. I know they say you shouldn't use stretchy fabrics but some are just too pretty not to use and that's the only way I can see of avoiding the stretching. I love your colors and fabric combination.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:14 AM

thanks for the information. I will definately donate to this charity. Thanks for letting me know about it.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

I think your crazy quilt is wonderful.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:42 AM

I think I am really going to like making these. I ready to make more. Thanks for the good words.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:50 AM

It's a great way to experiment with different stitches. There are some really good website showing how to embellish a crazy quilt and a few on Youtube that are pretty good. I liked this one, it's a series of blocks that show different techniques http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF-To...eature=related
Old 05-29-2011, 12:22 PM

Could I change my name to Charity? LOL That piece is just beautiful!! I'd frame it!