Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: next project - Crazy Quilt

next project - Crazy Quilt

This is a Molly Mine design.

I started out doing a test block to see if I'd like going very scrappy.

Did not care for it much - too busy and not what I was hoping for.

So I dug out my Handspray fabrics - between layer cakes, charm squares and yardage I have 20 or more different colors. I'm doing the outline satin stitch in black.

I like this one much better! I plan on sashing with black. The pattern has 20 blocks, and I may make some duplicates but not decided on how big I want it to end up.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    Your fancy stitching shows up much better on the second sample.

I've done a lot of MollyMine designs because I love them, but you do need to be a bit mindful of the background fabrics. I use a lot of scraps and the basket never seems to empty so I've done a few blocks with busy fabrics that resulted in the lovely stitching getting lost. Have fun!!

Glad to see a picture of the work done.

Now if I can just find my curved blade scissors! I'm sure I had a small pair with red handles. I can picture them clearly . . . (but I might be imagining that too) they aren't in any of the normal places, which probably means I have them in a box somewhere with the last project I was using them on. I've not had a reason to want to use them for a couple of years.

While digging around, I did find my small pair of "crane" embroidery scissors that I'd forgotten I had. So I'm using the for the trimming until I can find the others.

On a good note, if I go through everything looking for the scissors, I might get a better handle on my UFO's. Hmmm- I didn't look out in the LA shed. They shouldn't be out there, but one never knows . . .
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Your block looks so pretty.
    I wondered, are you embroidering on a batting piece?
    Good luck with your scissor search. I am on day 4 of my 'handy little scissors on a clip on leash' search. Did they get mixed in with the garbage? fall into a bin? I sure miss them. How do these things get so lost in one room?

coffeecozy, I am not using any batting as I'll quilt them after the top is assembled. I have an LA so it's easy to do. I'd love to use it for some trapunto work at some point in time.

Hey -that reminded me of the last time I used my curved needle scissors! I was doing trapunto work - need to find the tote that is stored in and hope they are there!

Right now I have the "help" of a couple of teenage cats - they love taking scraps of fabric and putting them in the toilet (they the fish them out and drag the wet stuff around). They also take just about anything else they fancy, so I've had to get much better at putting things away. I've had one youngster at a time in the past, and two is about five times the trouble as one!

yea! I found them!

They were not with the trapunto, but it made me more motivated to look harder. Turns out they were in one of the drawers I have thread in, but I missed them the first time as there was some paperwork laying on top at the back of the drawer, and I had not looked underneath.

I always get after my husband to look with his hands and not just his eyes (he never looks underneath anything) and if I'd followed my own advice, I'd have found them a few days ago.

here is the second block

and a picture of the fabric I'm using. Lots of colors to choose from!

Congrats on finding your scissors.
    Love the fabric colours. That will make a lovely quilt.
    So now I am curious, when you quilt it how will you deal with your fancy stitch lines? Will you quilt over them or just stitch in the ditch between the blocks?

I got really tired of losing my seam ripper, so I have 3, and they are all on colorful shoe lace leashes. I highly recommend this for small, easily lost essential items. We have done it with remotes, too. Excellent results.

Name:  ripper on a leash.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  69.4 KB
    Last edited by themadpatter; 02-03-2019 at 01:26 AM. Reason: wow, that picture is big!

I had never heard of a shoelace leash!! Great idea!!

here are the blocks I've completed the last few days. It was nice having the machine working while I was arranging stuff to make room for the new machine.

I had to move the embroidery machine to the middle spot. I use to have it with the Juki 2010 to the front, but I had to slide the Juki forward to remove the embroidery arm. Now that I've swapped out the 2010 for a Juki 8700, moving the Juki out of the way isn't going to happen! So it's on the end now.

Haven't sewn on it much other than the test sewing at the dealer's shop. I bought it from the same place as my embroidery machine, serger, HQ long arm, sashiko machine and my Scan N Cut. They are my favorite toy store!

Love the blocks you have made. They keep getting prettier. It's nice to see all the machines set up and ready to go when you want. That is my goal too.

here is an update on the blocks completed the last week. I'm up to 12 so 8 more to go. After I get these done, I want to do a set using my selection of fabrics and trims I'm using on my "antique wedding" crazy quilt.

Some very pretty stitches; enjoy seeing your blocks, they are all so beautiful and can't wait to see them all put together.

Those are so cute. I need to check out the Molly Mine designs.

Since 2 of my nieces said I need to rest to recover faster from my sinus infection, I have time to surf the web. . I am heading to the sewing machine soon, however.
    Connie

Blog Entries
    Beautiful Blocks Macybaby. Great machine setup. Looks like it's a fun place to be!!
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Very creative. I love how the solids show off the stitches (and keep it from being too busy).

Your blocks are beautiful. Almost makes me want to get out the embroidery unit for my Janome. Almost.

These blocks are going to make a beautiful quilt.

Here are teh rest of the blocks that go with this set of 20. Have not decided how I am going to assemble them into a quilt, so I don't know if I'm going to need to make more.

I wanted to try these using my vintage lace and see how that worked.

Not decided if I like having the pastel colors, or if I'd prefer it with white/beige tones only. I think the pastels may make it look more like a baby quilt than I was hoping for.

Blog Entries
    these are terrific blocks
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast