Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: next project - Crazy Quilt

Your blocks are beautiful! When you quilt it, won't the quilting compete with the fancy stitches?

not if I'm careful how I quilt. I may use invisible thread and just outline the more open areas of the design. Or possibly go just along side of the satin stitching around the fabrics. If I do sashing I'll quilt more there, and if not I'll stitch in the ditch around each block.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    I wanted to try these using my vintage lace and see how that worked.

Not decided if I like having the pastel colors, or if I'd prefer it with white/beige tones only. I think the pastels may make it look more like a baby quilt than I was hoping for.

Love this look.
    Baby Lock Ellisimo-^-Baby Lock Ellageo-^-Brother PQ1500s-^-1947 Featherweight.
    Janome 19660-^-Baby Lock Serger-^-Singer Serger-^-Accuquilt Go & Brother ScannCut.

beautiful Macy. Must be something in the air, I've been playing with crazy samples. The most recent reject was with gifted selvedges from a member here. but I still think the idea has possibilities. Looking forward to seeing your blocks going together.

what size hoop are you using
    Weatheread
    Caddo Mills ,Tx

I am using my 9.5" hoop, but bought the design for the 9" block that finishes at 8.5"

I'm working on the 8th block for the neutral set - I'm liking more as I get more blocks done. It's kind of tedious dealing with the lace though. I stitch out the applique lines, then rough cut the fabric. I do this by laying the fabric over the stitching, fold and finger press the lines, then cut about a half inch away. Then I start digging through my lace and lay that out on the cut pieces. The next step is to determine exactly where I want the lace placement and I glue it to the fabric. I am using my Pfaff embroidery machine and zigzagging the edge of the lace down, using invisible thread and stabilizer underneath. ( so I can leave the Babylock set up for embroidery) I remove the stabilizer, then start appliqueing them to the fabric in the hoop- also gluing them down to stitch. I'll put down as many pieces at one time as I can, remove the hoop and trim, and lay another set down. It usually takes 3-4 stitching to get them all down, trimmed and ready to start the embroidery part. That all takes about an hour per block.

I want to do a set with all white on white, and a wider range of beige/cream/tan thread (no pastels or lace) and see how that turns out. I've decided I'll leave the lace for the set of crazy quilt blocks I've been working on that have fancy machine stitching, but are not done in the hoop. That is a set of 100 blocks and I've got about half done. Have not worked on it in over a year though. . .
    Last edited by Macybaby; 03-05-2019 at 05:54 AM.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

They are all beautiful! I may have to give this a try.

Love the blocks. Thank you for sharing. You have given me so many ideas on what I can do with my scraps!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-03-2019 at 07:21 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Macy, they are gorgeous!!! You've done a fantastic job on them.

Blog Entries
    Great blocks Cathy. They just keep getting better and better. I like the "bit" of pastels in the neutral blocks. But, they would be beautiful in the just white and beige thread also.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

I need to get back to these. I have them done and the excess stabilizer removed. Not sure how I want to put them together though. I have a set of 12.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2