Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Small Ironing Surface and Larger Fusible Web Project >

Small Ironing Surface and Larger Fusible Web Project

Small Ironing Surface and Larger Fusible Web Project

Old 07-11-2017, 11:54 AM

I'm working on a McKenna Ryan wall hanging today, too. Mine has chickadees; I am assembling them separately in layers, so I'm just fusing a couple pieces at a time. Then I will transfer the fused groups to the main background. I definitely find the piecewise approach easier than trying to get it all laid out at once.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. The table is (I think) a wood veneer, one of those six foot deals with the legs that bend down like the big white plastic ones they make now. Since this is a one time thing, I am hoping to avoid going out to buy a special setup. Maybe I will have to go over the instructions of what goes first, again. I appreciate your input. I just do not want to mess this up as the kit was pricey.

Last edited by Boston1954; 07-11-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:53 PM

That's why I suggested putting fabric on the back of the ironing surface, too.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. The table is (I think) a wood veneer, one of those six foot deals with the legs that bend down like the big white plastic ones they make now. Since this is a one time thing, I am hoping to avoid going out to buy a special setup. Maybe I will have to go over the instructions of what goes first, again. I appreciate your input. I just do not want to mess this up as the kit was pricey.
That's the type of table I have. If you aren't using much steam, a double layer of blanket or thick batting should be okay. Those tables a really pretty durable.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:02 PM

I have 3 stacked towels folded up in my traveling quilter tote. They help with padding my machine and extension cords. I don't use steam. As far as a wood table, I'd put a plastic table cloth on it then the towels on top.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:40 PM
KLO

I have made several McKenna Ryan tops. If you are using Steam-A-Seam Lite II (or similar) then you should be able to hand press the pieces on and they should stay until ready to iron. If something is in the wrong place, you can lift it off (assuming you have ironed the pattern to the fabric for that piece and not to the main background yet) and move it where it needs to be. I have found also that walking away from the quilt top and coming back to look at it later before the final fusing helps to pick up any mistakes you may have made in placement. As previously mentioned, you should be pressing not ironing. Press down for 15 or so seconds then lift the iron, move it to the next area, and press down again with the iron. So, which Ryan design are you working on? I seem to love most of what she designs.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:18 AM

No help with the kit part of your question but I just use folded towels on top of my cutting table to iron all the time. I have one of the tables with the legs that fold under and the sides fold down. It is made of (I believe) masonite. It came with a (very) thin piece of foam and the silver ironing cover. Had more damage from that set up than my towels (none).
Old 07-12-2017, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by PatPitter View Post
If you make a quilting surface with a board, you don't want but one layer of batting. It needs to be firm. Too much batting makes it too soft for good pressing.
This is what I think is correct. I heard of one person putting multiple layers of batt on an ironing board. One layer is enough. You want it firm and flat.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:24 AM

When I was working on her owl quilt I fused the owls etc. on an appliqué sheet into a unit, but for the branches and grasses, they were built directly on the background. I have a big board so can't really add anymore to others comments about your pressing area. (although... if you had a large wooden dresser drawer, maybe you could pull it out and use the bottom of it, if it doesn't have any hardware on it, just put a towel over it? )
Old 07-13-2017, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
When I was working on her owl quilt I fused the owls etc. on an appliqué sheet into a unit, but for the branches and grasses, they were built directly on the background. I have a big board so can't really add anymore to others comments about your pressing area. (although... if you had a large wooden dresser drawer, maybe you could pull it out and use the bottom of it, if it doesn't have any hardware on it, just put a towel over it? )
Now that's being innovative. Use what you have, and some things are in unlikely places.