Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Small traveling iron

Small traveling iron

If anybody has a mini iron, what kind do you have and how do you like it? I asked my husband for one for Christmas.
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

I use the little white one that Angela Walters uses in her YouTube videos, and love it. Dritz makes it.

I have a travel iron that I bought at least 30 years ago when I was doing a lot of business travel. Amazingly, it still works great.

Super Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar

I have a small travel iron but also a tiny hard plate iron that is used for applique work and small delicate work. They serve different purposes. I like having them both

Blog Entries
    Walmart Steamfast SF-727 is $12.88.
    Boom 12 - Short & Sweet

Blog Entries
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
    I have this one, too. Truthfully, I prefer to take my full sized iron.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I have the Clover Wedge iron, the Steamfast mini, and the flat Clover mini. I use the Clover Wedge iron the most because it is so much fun. When I was a little girl I had a metal ironing board with iron and the Wedge looks like the child size iron I had. Th Clover Wedge is being discontinued so I bought an extra to keep.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I have a small Sunbeam travel Iron. It was only about $10. Works great, has steam and easy to pack when taking my sewing out with me. I frequently use it next to my cutting table because it is just the right size to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
    I have this one too. I really like it.

My favorite is the Steamfast from Walmart. Gets plenty hot and fits my hand well.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

I have a little vintage one I got from the thrift store. Mine came in the box and actually has a usable water globe on it! People usually melt/lose those. Handle can flatten out for packing, but since I have the box I haven't bothered with that.

Edit: I also have a June Tailor iron holder that can wrap around my normal iron. It's got the teflon coated stuff in the side and straps so it can fit a wide variety of iron. Probably about the same price as a mini-iron but maybe not so cool of a present.
    Last edited by Iceblossom; 11-09-2019 at 07:05 AM.
    Quilters: Advanced tool using humans.

I have the Steamfast 750 now. I had the lower priced model of the Steamfast iron but it just didnt get hot enough for me. I dont use the steam feature, so i cant speak to that.

https://www.amazon.com/Steamfast-SF-.../dp/B01GSRSTSS

I preordered the new Oliso travel iron but havent tried it yet 😊

I have a Steamfast iron from Walmart. Was $12.88. A great deal for such a fun little iron!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

We had several of the Walmart Steamfast irons at the last retreat I went to. They are made differently then the one I have. The Walmart ones didn't get as hot.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    The Clover Steamfast! Readily available at Walmart and other stores, heats up fast. Sits right beside my sewing machine and does a great job on all my piecing for my small (and larger) blocks. No automatic shut-off (which I don't want anyway.)

Ah, its the same one "sewingitalltogether" and others are telling you about. Cheaper at Walmart!
    Last edited by Kitsie; 11-09-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I have the Clover Wedge iron, the Steamfast mini, and the flat Clover mini. I use the Clover Wedge iron the most because it is so much fun. When I was a little girl I had a metal ironing board with iron and the Wedge looks like the child size iron I had. Th Clover Wedge is being discontinued so I bought an extra to keep.
    This brings back memories!! My sister and I had irons too. But hers could plug in and get barely warm while mine couldn't be plugged in bc I was little. I hated being the youngest but now I love it

I have used the the Sunbeam hot to trot for years and love it

https://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-Hot-2...-garden&sr=1-4
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

I just got this one https://www.oliso.com/mini-iron/ from quilt in a day. Problem is, the 'handle' gets hot. I did have it on the hottest setting. I haven't tried it at a lower heat setting.

l have the same one. I bring along a round cake pan to set it in so it can't fall and burn anything. If I am staying for a few days at a place, I also bring my regular iron for yardage. But use the little one for blocks and seams. This is the 3rd mini iron I've bought and I like it the most
    Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him!
    All in the Family (from a mentally challenged worker)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
    Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Quote Originally Posted by annt59 View Post
    Walmart Steamfast SF-727 is $12.88.
    This is the one I use and love it. Several in my sewing group bought it too and they all love it. Great price and great buy.

I have the small Dritz and just recently purchased the Olisso. Not a fan of the Olisso. The Dritz fits my hand well, has good steam and is a great size. Keep it near my sewing machine when I’m piecing.

I also use the Walmart Steamfast by my machine. It gets and stays hot. I liked it so much I went and bought a second one ro keep as a backup.

Senior Member ClairVoyantQuilter's Avatar
    I love the pointy tip on the mini Rowenta travel iron . . .but sadly, like their larger irons, they don’t last long. I’ve gone through two in three years. I won’t be buying anymore.

I bought the Oliso Mini earlier this year. Haven’t had it long enough to really recommend yet. The handle is awkward, but it heats up very hot. I use it for classes and retreats.
    Blessings,
    -Robin

https://quiltedorchid.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast