Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What small, lightweight hand crank would you take traveling? >

What small, lightweight hand crank would you take traveling?

What small, lightweight hand crank would you take traveling?

Old 11-08-2013, 06:37 PM

Default What small, lightweight hand crank would you take traveling?

Do any of you have a small and lightweight hand crank vintage machine that would easily be carried in a crowded car or small RV? Which one, and do you like it? If you don't have one, which one would you like to have and why?

I have a Singer 201 hand crank, a real beauty. But it is heavy and big and not suitable for a small space or RV storage or RV table. I'm looking for a machine that will piece and straight-line quilt and - if it's not asking too much - also fmq. I would prefer a round bobbin rather than the long one of yesteryear, but weight is more important. I'd also like a machine that uses standard needles that I can pick up anywhere. One possibility is a Singer 99, but that is not all that light, or is it? Anyone know what a Model 15 clone might weigh? I also have a wonderful Pfaff 130 which will piece, zig zag, straight-line quilt, and fmq and it could be made into a hand crank, but is very heavy. Do you have any machines to recommend?

This might be wishful thinking, but has anyone seen a Singer 221 Featherweight made into a hand crank? How about a Singer 301 turned into a hand crank? What would you think about an Elna Grasshopper (not light, I know, but tough enough to travel). Any possibilities there for a hand crank addition? Any other ideas?

Cricket
Old 11-08-2013, 06:46 PM

With a name like Cricket Is Cute, isn't it a given that you need to have a Grasshopper? ;-)
Old 11-08-2013, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
With a name like Cricket Is Cute, isn't it a given that you need to have a Grasshopper? ;-)
Thanks for the giggle, Cecilia!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

I would like to have a Singer 99 hand crank or Singer 128. I have a Singer 15 and Singer 201 hand crank.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:27 PM

I have a 99 handcrank and its the one I take to quilt guild meetings now. I used to take my featherweight, but I prefer the hand crank now.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:53 AM

Singer made an aluminum version of the 99 in the 20s ... 99K-10 I believe. I'd like to have one of those or an aluminum 99 clone such as my SEWMOR 303. It's a good sized machine, light weight but not too light, and uses easy to get accessories and supplies.

Joe
Old 11-09-2013, 12:51 PM

I have seen the FW converted to hand crank. One way to do it is with a steering wheel knob. Miriam has posted some machines with this "suicide knob". It is very slow -- one stitch per revolution. However I wonder if you could replace the handwheel with a spoked one, and then get a hand crank for it. I think you would have to wind bobbins ahead of time since the bobbin winder rides on the handwheel. Another option for the FW might be cutting a notch in the wheel for the crank. I've never done any of these things but I've seen them posted on the board. I think it might be Steve H who notches out wheels. I think I also saw a tutorial about it on treadle on.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:14 PM

Looking for a hand-crank too so will keep an eye on these posts!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:44 PM

I got a handcrank for my feather weight that works fine,if you like stitching slowly...1 stitch per revolution....very precise! Look at " bishopsewingsystems" in his e-bay store. I don't have vested interest in this...just giving info.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:12 PM

Thanks to everyone for the tips. I will check out those Featherweights. Also, it sounds like an aluminum 99 would be a great idea - I've never seen one around here or online, though.

I've been looking at RVs, and they have such limited space! You would almost have to build your own RV insides in order to get any sewing space. You would probably have to do QAYG. I haven't actually lived or traveled in an RV, I'm guessing based on what I see in the RV world.