Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What small, lightweight hand crank would you take traveling? >

What small, lightweight hand crank would you take traveling?

What small, lightweight hand crank would you take traveling?

Old 11-11-2013, 03:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
I have seen the FW converted to hand crank. One way to do it is with a steering wheel knob. Miriam has posted some machines with this "suicide knob". It is very slow -- one stitch per revolution. However I wonder if you could replace the handwheel with a spoked one, and then get a hand crank for it. I think you would have to wind bobbins ahead of time since the bobbin winder rides on the handwheel. Another option for the FW might be cutting a notch in the wheel for the crank. I've never done any of these things but I've seen them posted on the board. I think it might be Steve H who notches out wheels. I think I also saw a tutorial about it on treadle on.
NOPE no dice NOPE don't notch out your hand wheel on a FW. A spoked wheel won't fit so the suicide knob won't do it. You don't have a motor mount that will hold a standard HC - there IS someone out there selling window crank knobs stuck on a clutch knob you can attach to a FW. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FEATHERWEIGH...-/160874190414 Kind of a lot of cash though for a window crank knob. I don't know how those hold up either. See if he has any kind of guarantee on that before you shell out hard earned $$$. I think there is info somewhere on building up the side of the post to hold a hand crank attachment but seems like a lot of trouble. The Singer Spartan or the 99s will HC beautifully - they are small but they are heavy enough to stay put. I think a little weight when you HC helps or you might have to find a way to anchor the machine.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:21 AM
Power Poster

One revolution per crank isn't the end of the earth if you aren't doing production sewing. You can use a sidewinder to wind bobbins or like mentioned, wind a bunch ahead of time.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Banned

I would take this... (and I do)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]446339[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2013-09-30-07.06.13.jpg  
Old 11-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

I haven't figure out how to HC Cinderella. She is light and small. Her motor boss doesn't line up and it is too short of a distance. Her hand wheel is smaller than usual so I can't borrow one off something else to fit on her.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:57 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/sewing-machi...item565ca19796

This is an interesting hand crank mechanism. Makes you wonder if something could be mounted the base of a case instead of directly to the machine.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post

This is an interesting hand crank mechanism. Makes you wonder if something could be mounted the base of a case instead of directly to the machine.
probably so but it would be a waste of a good machine.........
Old 11-11-2013, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post

My Sailrite Ultrafeed clone has the monster hand wheel, like pictured below, with a handle attached. I've wondered why a person couldn't tap and thread a handle on most any solid hand wheel. When time permits maybe my 301a...... I might try practicing on my sledge hammered T&S first.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Banned

you can just drill and mount a handle but the handcrank give 3:1 ratio of cranks to stitches. BIG difference is work load and the 3:1 provides additional torque.

For situations like Miriam and the munchkin sewing sessions 1:1 is good, but I prefer the ratioed handcranks for sure

Steve
Old 11-11-2013, 10:35 AM

I use the hand crank referenced for boat cover repairs in situ. I concede the 1:1 would get tiresome for what most machines are used for. 1:1 with a largest hand wheel or extension to max diameter permitted would give enough torque for minor use. My rotator cuff would suffer, however.

Edit: I see Miriam has answered the 1:1 concern more succinctly than I in post #12.

Last edited by Vridar; 11-11-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
My Sailrite Ultrafeed clone has the monster hand wheel, like pictured below, with a handle attached. I've wondered why a person couldn't tap and thread a handle on most any solid hand wheel. When time permits maybe my 301a...... I might try practicing on my sledge hammered T&S first.
Some of us don't have equipment to tap and fit the handle - besides you have to come up with the handle. Yup practice on that CRUSH and SOW first. I'll even send you the wheel if you want to practice.
THAT machine turns easily enough - might make a good 1:1...

Last edited by miriam; 11-11-2013 at 02:52 PM.