Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
small vacuums? >

small vacuums?

small vacuums?

Old 05-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

I've been using the lint roller, for quick pick ups.
And have been considering purchasing a small carpet sweeper.

Someone posted recently that they have a toilet brush in their sewing area, to brush up the threads from the carpet.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Someone posted recently that they have a toilet brush in their sewing area, to brush up the threads from the carpet.
ooohh..I bet that works good..I have a carpet sweeper, but it won't get under or into tight spots..the toilet brush would though...
Old 05-09-2011, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by rushdoggie
Does anyone have a stick vac or a handheld that they like? I would like a small one dedicated to clean up threads and schnizzles in my sewing area as the big vacuum we have is hard to maneuver in my small area and then the threads get caught in the beaterbar. It would be nice for cleaning off the desk surfaces too.

I would love to hear if anyone has something they like using.
I use an Oreck hand held and it does the job. I use it also for cleaning up threads and puzels (pronounced poozels) (this word came from my German grandmother, who was a quilter and seamstress! Love the homey quilting words!!!! Edie
Old 05-09-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

What a good idea...my sewing area is part low nap carpet and part laminate floor.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:44 AM

I have the same one. Don't like it for the same reason. At least I got 20% off with my coupon, so not a big loss.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 AM

I have the same one. Don't like it for the same reason. At least I got 20% off with my coupon, so not a big loss.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 AM

We just bought a small vac made by AC Delco. It has micro attachments for computer and sewing machine cleanup. DH makes scale model wooden boats and it works for his hobby surface too. Not as handy as I would like, but very strong suction and versatile.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:41 PM
JT

I had a small Shark vac/electric - worked great, but burned the motor out cleaning up sawdust. DUMB!! Then I bought an electric Bissell stick vacumn. It is great for picking up thread, and now I don't need to bend down. It's the size of a battery dirt devil, but also has a floor attachment with wheels, and a small crevice tool, stick handle detaches when needed. I got it for $15 from Walmart, on sale. Normally they run $20. After using a few weeks, I went and bought a second one for upstairs for the kitchen and laundry room. Love them!!!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:42 PM

Restoring machines has put us in the market for several vacuums after I almost ruined my household one by getting a needle wedged in the hose sideways and an enormous dog hair jam. Thankfully my husband had a better idea to my jamming a roll of wire through the hose. He took it to the self car wash and blasted it- out shot glob after glob of hair.
We use a small hand vac that has a narrow tip on it to clean around and even in some areas of cases and machines. for the floor we keep a bagless,hoseless, brushless mini stick vac so that threads, needles etc don't ruin it. The cost of a small vac for the sewing area is well worth the cost of ruining your more expensive one and or dragging pins and needles through the house where somoeone gets hurt.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by writerwomen
Restoring machines has put us in the market for several vacuums after I almost ruined my household one by getting a needle wedged in the hose sideways and an enormous dog hair jam. Thankfully my husband had a better idea to my jamming a roll of wire through the hose. He took it to the self car wash and blasted it- out shot glob after glob of hair.
We use a small hand vac that has a narrow tip on it to clean around and even in some areas of cases and machines. for the floor we keep a bagless,hoseless, brushless mini stick vac so that threads, needles etc don't ruin it. The cost of a small vac for the sewing area is well worth the cost of ruining your more expensive one and or dragging pins and needles through the house where somoeone gets hurt.
What brand do you have? I think I would be happy with anything with really good suction...