Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
snail trail? >

snail trail?

snail trail?

Old 07-02-2017, 12:49 AM
Gay

I decided to try this out as I thought the 4patch seemed too small. Cut the strip 2" instead of 1 1/2, and it did upset the rest of the cutting out a bit. My block ended up 7 1/4 after trimming. So drew it up in EQ, and after seeing the rotary cutting directions, decided this would be easier to cut strips into squares, and re-cut diagonally. So this is what I came up with, but won't get to test it out till tomorrow. Hope you can follow my sketchy directions. Worth a try

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575670[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 8inchsnailtrail.jpg  
Old 07-02-2017, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom View Post
Just about ANY quilt can be done in that time. The real question is how much time do you have to devote to piecing, quilting and binding a quilt over the next four weeks?

Just viewed that tutorial you referred to, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwM...EF21A981F69C28, and the final block looked a little choppy to me. I've made this quilt before and never remember it being so...not smooth.

If you have the time to devote to this quilt, I recommend you find a different pattern for it. It can be a beautiful quilt that's smooth. Maybe this one; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkIu-HnS_oQ

Good luck with your decision.

I also thought that the tutorial results did not do the pattern justice. I love the simplicity of the MSQ tutorials but this one... not so much. I have not made this block, but my daughter has it was/is gorgeous and all points match. This is an old pattern and I am absolutely sure you can find a pattern that will give you a smooth and beautiful wedding quilt.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:20 AM

Looking at the pic of the trial block, I see the gaps, but also in her tutorial she states to trim the working block not really by size, but rather by only having a 1/4" seam allowance at each join, so that the next triangle will be sewn snug up to that intersection. I think if you do another trial block that way, it will be smooth. Now I have to go and try one!
Old 07-02-2017, 04:57 AM

One of my favorite patterns is "Shakespeare in the Park", which is the snails trail alternating with a star, on point! So dramatic looking!
Old 07-02-2017, 06:35 AM

Creative Grids makes a ruler for snail trail and I practiced sewing one in a class and it came out great...that's why I purchased the ruler.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:54 AM

I really like the snail trail block - thank you for sharing the links.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:54 PM

If you want to give it in a month, I think it'll be a challenge but possible, given the time you have daily to devote to making it. I've made the snail trail block twice. The first one was time consuming and didn't come out exactly like I wanted. The second one went together much more smoothly, but I got a piece turned around and was so frustrated with it . I was making it for a friendship quilt where we each got to choose a block with the same fabric everyone was using. So I unsewed the boo-boo, turned it the right way, and was really happy with it. But I told myself I would never do that block under a time constraint because it was too easy to get screwed up directionally.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:39 PM

What's the name of jenny's block that she makes an hr glass, cuts it in 3rds, then turns the middle, then the outside corners, then the next set. Broken?............. that was an easy, and dressy quilt.....
Old 07-02-2017, 06:44 PM

The disappearing hour glass quilt. it works great.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:58 PM

Take a look at the snails trail in this quilt. Big blocks make any quilt go together fast! http://www.quiltingdaily.com/blog/mo...-than-it-looks