Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Snap Bags >

Snap Bags

Snap Bags

Old 09-01-2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by quilterj
Yes I have already made one myself. I just wanted to know if there really is a difference if any in the different strengths of bend in the tape measures (Ithnk I am explaining it right). So that I guess it would make it tight if you used one each side and then if you used 2 pieces it would make it come together closer and be stronger. Since one is coming from a $1.00 store verses any other. I hope I am not confusing anyone.
You know what the saying is you get what you pay for.
If it's only $1, the investment might not be so bad. I'd try it.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:53 AM

I wonder if you can use those "snap" wrist band? The ones where you slap'em on your wrist and it wraps istself there? Just an idea instead of rulers but then you get more out of an ruler than those wrist band, depending how many you're making!
Old 09-01-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by nwm50
I wonder if you can use those "snap" wrist band? The ones where you slap'em on your wrist and it wraps istself there? Just an idea instead of rulers but then you get more out of an ruler than those wrist band, depending how many you're making!
I don't think they bend in the same way. You could try it and let us know if it works but I don't think it will.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Originally Posted by nwm50
I don't think they bend in the same way. You could try it and let us know if it works but I don't think it will.
I don't think those will work either not strong enough. When I made mine I put the bump on the inside of the bag so the curved part is facing the outside. Just remember to cut the tape as close to the 1/4" edge as possible. One of them I made wasn't as long as it should have been and didn't close all the way, it left a little gap.

I love these bags though.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:04 PM

I'm going to try these snap bags. They really caught my eye. We own a floor covering business and go through tape maeasures quite rapidly. Always buy the good ones but they eventually wear out. I've got to see if any one has one that no longer goes back into the holder part. If they don't I'll go to the Dollar Store too.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:12 PM

I think you ladies got it right about the wrist band not being strong enough but it was worth the thought.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:45 PM

Good ole Harbor Freight! They didn't have any rotary cutters but they do have good tape measures! For $1.99 I bought a 3/4" one that will certainly do the job for Snap Bags!

I have the "Snap Happy bag" pattern available at a lot of places. Just google that! Has 3 sizes and a few options.

Beware that the pattern says to cut just one length (cut a piece) of the metal tape. Of course you need 2. It also says to have the numbers face the inside of the bag. Most of us have them face the outside so it closes )( this way.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:23 PM

Hi Kitsie, I have my rulers pieces facing each other as in this...( ) for better closure. That is what I was taught in a class. Do you feel it closes better the other way around?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Hi Kitsie, I have my rulers pieces facing each other as in this...( ) for better closure. That is what I was taught in a class. Do you feel it closes better the other way around?
I think that may be best. I did one with it going )( and tho it sounds nice (snap) it does leave gaps. I did the Snap Happy pattern and she says to sew side seams RST and turn but that leaves a big lump of seam that does not allow the ruler to close it tightly even tho the ruler does not go over the seam. I found to sew WST and use binding on the side seams. Still working on it! May post a tute one day!