Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Snow Day - Sew Day! >

Snow Day - Sew Day!

Snow Day - Sew Day!

Old 02-13-2014, 07:33 PM

Hi from southeast VA. We are never sure what will happen here, Mother Nature loves to keep us guessing! Yesterday we had about 2" of snow which became water since it rained today. Tomorrow, it's supposed to be in the mid 40s and sunny then a chance of snow on Saturday. We are also tired of the cold and snow and wet. Our backyard is a swamp, you could lose a small child out there! Spring will come, though. As sure as there are taxes, we will be breathing the scent of freshly mowed grass and lilacs soon. Keep the faith, folks! :-)
Old 02-14-2014, 06:30 AM

A few days ago, I was driving down the highway, and noticed how WHITE everything was. And we hadn't had snow for at least a week. Usually the snow banks by the side of the road are all brown from blown soil from North Dakota. But this year North Dakota is covered with snow, so all we get from them is more snow. It sure is beautiful!

I had to cancel my quilting class January 28 because of blowing snow, but we've held it the next two weeks. It's just a good time to stay indoors and sew (after we have the driveway shoveled. Our banks by the side of the driveway are almost over our heads, as we shovel by hand).

Just remember, we have 4 to 6 more weeks of this. We've been colder for longer this year than in any year I can remember. Read the Laura Ingals Wilder book: "The Long Cold Winter". That will make you feel fortunate. The best thing to do is enjoy it, not complain about it. Remember Abraham Lincoln's quote about being as happy as you make up your mind to be.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:53 PM

Another snow day for us! Had to catch up on paperwork today but I'll be sewing tomorrow. We got at least a foot. Some drifts are over 2 feet. The town next to us is hosting The World Sled Dog Championships this weekend so those folks have got to be thrilled. The last few years, it was cancelled due to poor conditions.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:24 PM

Prayers are going out to everyone in the upper states that the storms calms down quick and you don't loose power. I grew up in Iowa till I was 15. My favorite saying is.."I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could". I did live in Nebraska for a few years & dealt with the driving in snow ect it's pretty scary. Last snow we got (Corpus Christi) was in 2004 I think it was a couple inches & the whole city shut down, closed the freeways ect. I just shook my head, these people don't know what snow is lol. Be safe & stay warm my friends.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

I had to sit around for three days here in SC due to power outage...I sure do appreciate electric after this last bout of weather..