Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Snow Day - Sew Day! >

Snow Day - Sew Day!

Snow Day - Sew Day!

Old 02-12-2014, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Default Snow Day - Sew Day!

Snow, sleet, Andy more snow here in ,Georgia for the second day in a row and expected to snow until Thursday PM, possible 6 - 12 inches. Even though I don't work outside the home I'm sewing as fast as I can due to the risk of power outage. Hope all my Georgia neighbors and quilting buddies are safe and sound!
Old 02-12-2014, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Just heard from son in Atlanta that it is "a-blowing" out there. They are hunkered down and hoping to keep power too.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:14 AM

I keep a treadle machine just for power outages...... well, it's a pretty machine, too.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:21 AM
dd

We're expecting a lot in MD too. I not only have my grandson, 5 yr. but I also inherited the dog. They are both Army National Guard and got snow duty. Gov declared st of emergency yesterday and told them they would be on duty until they were told there were not on duty. So, along with my two cats who are now under they bed, I have a very large German Shepherd puppy who won't come out of the basement. Not sure how much sewing I'm going to be able to get done.lol
Old 02-12-2014, 06:26 AM

We are expecting another snowstorm beginning this evening. Last week our power was out about 26 hours. We have a well so no water, lights or heat. We do have a woodstove but keeping it going through the night, requires missed or disturbed sleep. I have stock piled fleece in which I poked holes all around the outside of each piece with a special rotor blade. I plan on crocheting a trim around each piece to make Linus blankets for my local chapter during my confinement because of the snow. Having a warm fleece blanket in my lap during the process helps keep me warm. I am about 35 miles west of Baltimore City in rural Maryland. This is one of the worst winters I remember since my marriage and we moved here 36 years ago. I may have to look into a place in Florida. My husband and I aren't getting any younger.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:19 AM

Snow expected to start here about midnight tonight. 6-12 inches anticipated. Yippee - here we go again. Just yesterday chopped out most of the ice from the front walk to the street where we got plowed in after shoveling last time and didn't get to it before it froze. What a chore that was! Heading out to do some errands and shopping in a few. I hate it when you just plain need food and it's just before the storms are coming. All the stores are a nightmare. But with any luck, tomorrow will be a sew day for me as well. If the power goes out and we end up using the generator, I'll just use the FW and not the computerized Viking! Don't want any surges going through that!

Stay warm everyone and don't do too much shoveling at a time. Take breaks!
Old 02-12-2014, 07:20 AM

Down here in hurricane country, I bought a treadle machine for the same reason. I have a couple of the As Seen On TV Boston Lanterns and a battery powered fan, and I am prepared to sew.

I am Nanna, too.

And if you see any electric company trucks with the name "Centerpoint" on them, they're from Houston. Give the guys a wave and a thanks for coming to help your power company. When the Gulf Coast was out of power because of the last hurricane, we had linemen from other parts of the country come to help us get our power back.

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
I keep a treadle machine just for power outages...... well, it's a pretty machine, too.

Last edited by mckwilter; 02-12-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:24 AM

I am also hunkered down in GA. No treadle. Lots of hand sewing projects I'll have to do by candlelight!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:23 AM

Stay warm and safe everyone. If you get a chance to sew/quilt have fun.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrammaNan View Post
Stay warm and safe everyone. If you get a chance to sew/quilt have fun.
I agree, stay warm and safe and use ANY excuse to quilt !!!