Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Snowball >

Snowball

Snowball

Old 04-12-2014, 05:49 AM

There is a lot of trial and error and wonderful information in this post.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:02 AM

check out missouri quilt co, she shows you how to do it
Old 04-12-2014, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Preeti View Post
There is an easier way of doing it and I can explain it. I am just not sure I can do a good job in the absence of pictures, but I will try. 1. Take two strips of fabric 2.5" wide by width of the fabric (WOF). 2. Take one strip of fabric 5" wide by WOF. 3. Stitch the three strips side by side with the wide strip in the center. 4. Fold it into half (RST), so that the wider strip has a crease all along its length. 5. Now stitch the folded fabric, such that you have the crease on the left and the two identical strips are on the right, making sure that the right sides are together. Now, the magic begins. Use your 45 degree triangle ruler and cut out triangles. If you are familiar with the tube technique, you know what I am talking about. Once you are done cutting, you should get the snowball block. You will also get the other block, where the fabrics will be reversed - you can get creative with these bonus blocks. Give it a try and send me a PM if you still have questions.
This sounds so intriguing! I will have to try this method.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Preeti View Post
There is an easier way of doing it and I can explain it. I am just not sure I can do a good job in the absence of pictures, but I will try. 1. Take two strips of fabric 2.5" wide by width of the fabric (WOF). 2. Take one strip of fabric 5" wide by WOF. 3. Stitch the three strips side by side with the wide strip in the center. 4. Fold it into half (RST), so that the wider strip has a crease all along its length. 5. Now stitch the folded fabric, such that you have the crease on the left and the two identical strips are on the right, making sure that the right sides are together. Now, the magic begins. Use your 45 degree triangle ruler and cut out triangles. If you are familiar with the tube technique, you know what I am talking about. Once you are done cutting, you should get the snowball block. You will also get the other block, where the fabrics will be reversed - you can get creative with these bonus blocks. Give it a try and send me a PM if you still have questions.
I would love to understand how this is done but I am such a visual person I need pics. Can anyone do pictures for a tutorial?
Old 04-12-2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
http://www.cluckclucksew.com/2010/10...ner-trick.html
this is one way.
see the line in the first pic? That would be the fold line some are talking about. just fold over and finger press rather than marking. both ways work
I will try this method. I have a pattern I am wanting to do with snowball blocks.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
..I also leave the front and background triangle there, just cut out that middle one. This way when you are piecing you are lining up with the background of both pieces, which is the true edge-- because sometimes no matter how carefully you sew it still gets a little wonky, and that background triangle is there to keep the block straight. There is not that much bulk having the two fabs there. And a snowball corner should be 1/3 of the size of that block...usually anyway.....
Sounds like a good way to put snowballs togetehr.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

This thread came along at just the right time for me and has great tips in it. I'm doing corners on square blocks-- bigger than snowballs but the technique is the same. Thanks to everyone who shared their methods. I have gotten great results after reading them!