Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SO BUMMED :( >

SO BUMMED :(

SO BUMMED :(

Old 10-20-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by delma_paulk
I bought a medium arm machine for $2500, used a few months, and its been great. Can also stitch quilt tops, too if need be.

Wishing you luck!

delma
What kind? I'm thinking of buying one!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:30 PM

try turning the desk you have the sewing machine on so that you have more room on your left hand side, and use anything you can to put the quilt on as you sew. I have a featherweight, believe me I know how you feel. Next quilt I do will be in thirds.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:58 PM

do you have anyone to help you? if you can find someone to get on the other side and help you guide it makes it much easier on regular machine. my sister helps me. she listens very well and sometimes i draw a sketch or show her a picture of what i want to do.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by cindypierce
do you have anyone to help you? if you can find someone to get on the other side and help you guide it makes it much easier on regular machine. my sister helps me. she listens very well and sometimes i draw a sketch or show her a picture of what i want to do.
No, I live by myself, but I am getting it done a lot faster on the kitchen table - I have the whole thing ditch stitched, and I am on to the decorative ones now, and it is a lot more fun!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:35 AM

I have a Grace Mini Pinn frame, considered a mid arm, & have it set up in crib size & I love it! I don't do alot of big bed quilts, but figure, if I want to, I can do it in sections, then just sew the sections together. This is another option to think about on your machine you have now. Something else, you can quilt as you go on your blocks, that might work too. My Grace frame was $500 at the time I got it, just a couple of years ago, I think. Do some checking, lots of less expensive options out there if you decide you want a frame, & lots of ways to quilt on the machine you have too! You might want to look for a spring loaded foot too, & try free motion quilting, even for straight lines. I found a generic type spring loaded foot for my machines, cost $10, versus the one Viking sells for my Sapphire, which costs $40!.. So keep asking questions & trying different ways to quilt, don't give up, & you will figure out what works for you!.. Good luck, & nice quilt too!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:24 AM

You can SID with your darning foot, then you won't have to turn the quilt so much. Good luck.

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
I have read almost every idea on 9 pages. I have marked several of them. I have about 15 or so tops. I have completed one baby quilt SID. Did not like how it turned out but hey it was my first. Sent it to the family and did not get one complaint and I see it in the baby pictures all the time. I have just completed top and pieced back for a throw size quiltfor a friend. After reading here today I think I will do 1/4" away from the seam on it. Then I will work on a practice pad for FMQ'ing. The reason I have so many tops not quilted I have been afraid to start. I guess I will bite my lip and just do it.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:00 PM

This will not help you on this quilt, but I made a King Size quilt on my regular sewing machine by making 4 smaller quilt sections, quilting them, and then connecting the sections. There is some hand work involved unless you want to fight just some sewing on the big piece. Search online for "Quilt As You Go" for help on how to attach the sections. There are several methods.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by crystaltx
Originally Posted by cindypierce
No, I live by myself, but I am getting it done a lot faster on the kitchen table - I have the whole thing ditch stitched, and I am on to the decorative ones now, and it is a lot more fun!
yes....when you can spread out it makes all the difference....thats why I use my dinning room table to quilt on....
Old 10-25-2011, 07:13 PM

Try looking on YouTube for Patsy Thompson's videos. She is a terrific quilter of large quilts using her DSM. She has a video available showing exactly how she does it, and she finishes show quality quilts all the time! You can do it, too :-) Good luck.
Originally Posted by crystaltx
I have been cruising along, piecing my first quilt, but I am having a heck of a time with the actual quilting on my sewing machine. It's so big, it is just impossible. I don't know how I will ever finish it without it puckering or having crooked lines. Does anyone have any tips on the actual quilting process on a regular machine? I guess that is why some of you have long arm quilting machines, they look nice but expensive. If I don't find a way to do this, I'm afraid I will never try this again. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I have a walking foot and I'm just doing the ditch stitching right now...I am starting in the middle and trying to work my way out, but I can't really switch direction of course. I have the quilt kind of rolled up but I have to move it all the time so everything bunches and shifts. I have about 100 safety pins holding the sandwich in place though so it is probably ok. This just doesn't seem fun =/