Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SO BUMMED :( >

SO BUMMED :(

SO BUMMED :(

Old 10-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

I find it helps to turn the sewing machine side ways so the the roll goes through the harp from left to right. This gives you a width across the whole quilt to quilt. Once one width is finished, I advance to the next line across from left to right. Give it a try, you might like it better.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:03 PM

First let me say.... beautiful quilt :thumbup:
I understand your frustration. I went thru the same thing for a very long time.. then I was in WalMart one day and saw a Brother SE400 (sewing/embroidery) machine. Very inexpensive.
It is only a 4 x 4 hoop but I really love it for quilting. I download tons of outline stitches from several embroidery sites and love the outcome! I am fortunate in that I have a large kitchen table to lay out the quilt to support the weight. I have done oversized queens in this method.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:04 PM

Hand quilt it with long basting stitches and combine your quilting with hand and machine stitching.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:10 PM

What helped me the most was putting my ironing board perpendicular to my machine to hold up the weight of the quilt and buying a stitch in the ditch foot. These two things together have made me actually enjoy the quilting process. I get a great deal of satisfaction from it.

I did have to learn patience...but then, I am still working on that. I have only been quilting 2 years. It does get easier with practice, and I sure wish I had started on something small...but I didn't.

Your quilt is beautiful, and you will be able to quilt it. Just take your time.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:19 PM

I agree with those who said 'patience'. The first quilts I made were larger queens...and at the time I had a smaller machine. I just took my time.

I think the first reaction for most is to say "oh, I need a a LA " when the truth is everything worth doing well takes practice and patience.

Hang in there.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:25 PM

you can purchase an 18" long arm at wowquilts.com
these are modify sewing machines. they range between $2000-3500. it beats paying $8-11K for a crown jewel or some other nice machine i wish i had the money to spend but i'm happy with my stretched long arm.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
I find it helps to turn the sewing machine side ways so the the roll goes through the harp from left to right. This gives you a width across the whole quilt to quilt. Once one width is finished, I advance to the next line across from left to right. Give it a try, you might like it better.
That is a GREAT idea...it would feel so much more natural. I will try that tomorrow - I finally turned off the machine tonight =) I know it's not going to look perfect, but I think I am too stubborn to let someone else do it right =)
Old 10-17-2011, 07:38 PM

CrystalTx - you are a genius! I sew batting together all the time but never thought of sewing it as I go!! I just love this idea. It will really help quilting on my DSM. I even have an 18" throat on my machine and it can still be difficult, but now, thanks to you, I have a new plan :thumbup: :lol:
Old 10-17-2011, 08:18 PM

I have turn my machine sideways and it works better. Sewing in the ditch is hard to do.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:35 PM

I use 505 basting spray instead of pins...it works so much better...only 505, though...I found a great video (4 part series) about it, and it also includes all aspects of machine quilting. Its on youtube, here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39I5A3iyCtw
I know it says for free motion quilting, but it is such a great video series in general that it works for stitch in the ditch, too... I have also had so much frustration, and can only say to keep trying! Do google searches, and get all the information you can...this board has great advice, too...as we all know...I also used the following video to make the home made table that helps hold the weight of the quilt, and you make it so your machine will fit down in it...here is that link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14go...feature=relmfu
I also don't do exactly stitch in the ditch, I stitch about 1/8" away, as I think it just looks nicer, and it can be really hard to stay right in that ditch!
Good luck to you, and please know that it can be done. I really hope you won't give up on it...as your quilt is beautiful!! And if you can piece that, you can quilt it...I am sure it is not as easy to do it on the domestic machines, but I also have several gals in my quilting group that also quilt on their domestics...I really debated sending my 1st one out to be done on the long-arm..but, I really wanted my quilts to be done by me...the whole thing...Lastly if it turns out to be something that just is not going to work on the machine...I hand quilt it!! :-)
Regards,
Kif