Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
so consumed with my lqs experience i forgot to tell you about the quilt police! >

so consumed with my lqs experience i forgot to tell you about the quilt police!

so consumed with my lqs experience i forgot to tell you about the quilt police!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

wow. You handled that really well. Good for you.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:47 PM

This just cracked me up to hear how you put her in her place. Which brings to mind. A friend and I were hosts of a bus tour to a quilt convention. We found tee shirts that said "quilt police" with a comical figure embroidered under the words. What fun we had with those shirts. Everyone knew we were just being ornery though so took a lot of kidding and had lots of fun with it. I have run into some people who think they have the right to criticize how someone else does things. You did good--
Old 07-08-2010, 12:51 PM

LMAO. I can just picture this confrontation :) :).
So....big question: Did she have a badge or just her awful attitude
Old 07-08-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I think I have a little quilt police in me. :oops: My dad had a quilt thrown across a bunch of coroplast in the back end of his pickup to keep the rain off the plastic while he traveled 150 miles to my sister's house. I about had heart failure and chewed him out. The quilt was made by my great grandmother and was still in excellent shape. I traded him a large carpet for the quilt and it is now residing on my guest room bed.
Ok, there are situations where we need to protect those quilts a little All the quilts I make and give away are to be used and loved and washed and dragged all over, however I would probably have a cow if my kids used it as a tarp in the back of a pickup truck!!! Especially if it was something special from a grand or great grand parent!!!!

I don't know how I would have reacted but I probably would have knocked her over yanking my arm away!! The gal of that woman to grab you!!! I have bad shoulders and if grabbed it could have been a very painful experience.
I think you handled it very well!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 01:14 PM

No, I think I met president of the quilt police at the IQS in Chicago this year. It was almost the end of the show and we were admiring David Taylor's entry...can't remember the name of it, but it is the pig and is simply stunning. Two ladies were there that told us they had just taken a two day seminar from David and said the back of the quilt was as pretty as the front and....you might have guessed....REACHED OUT AND TOUCHED IT AND FLIPPED IT OVER!!!! I knew what they did was wrong and against every rule in the world, but a lady saw them do it and proceeded to give them the scolding of their lives. She went on and on about how you don't touch these quilts...what were you thinking...how dare you....OMG...I was embarrassed and wanted to shout, "OK, ENOUGH ALREADY, THEY GET IT...GIVE IT A REST" They apologized, but she wouldn't let up, I actually thought she was going to call security. Thank goodness it was the end of the show.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:36 PM

I was surprised when my daughters told me their quilts were for them and their families the thing you wrap up in when you are sick or don't feel good. They brought comfort. I am now redoing all their quilts. When I was a child, quilts were just part of our bedding or layed on the floor for babies to play on.

I hope I don't run into that lady, I may not be so nice.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:49 PM

After the fact, you probably got a good laugh out of it! :-)
Old 07-08-2010, 02:00 PM

GO GIRL!!!! I probably would not have been as nice as you were. Quilts are meant to be used and loved and yes even worn out (how else are you going to make more) Love your story and it did bring a smile to my face.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:20 PM

No, she wasn't the Quilt Police, she was the
CHIEF OF THE QUILT POLICE.

Doesn't it make you wonder who first yanked
HER chain to make her so furious about some one
else's quilt?
Old 07-08-2010, 02:51 PM

Bravo! You really handled that one like a trouper! What nerve, for her to assault you physically. I wonder if she realizes you could have sued her for assault and battery? Sounds like obsessive-compulsive disorder to me. Usually OCD's know how to run your life better than YOU do - even if they don't know you. I'd probably have slapped her from here to eternity, just as a reflex. <G>