Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So excited, but what next? >

So excited, but what next?

So excited, but what next?

Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 AM

I would be sitting holding / touching that quilt all the while I am talking to her. Oh, but that might be hard to write down the story at same time --so tape the story to rewrite later as you will remember it anyway. Hopefully she will give it to you since here family hasn't paid much attention to it so far --sounds like !!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:35 AM

I agree with mornigstar, if your aunt is a talker and wouldn't mind, maybe you could record her words and leave her memories of the quilt with it on a CD, flash stick or SD card, as well as typed out because who knows if any of that sort of media will be usable 50 years from now. Whatever your mother remembers about it should also be included.

Steady Stichin, I love your story, and hope you write it down for posterity! Copy/paste and print what you wrote here - done!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:46 AM

No matter who gets it, if it is in bad repair, ask if you can help to preserve it. When they are tattered, they only seem to get worse unless a few stitches are added
Old 07-08-2013, 11:11 AM

I have a quilt that was made by friends of my husband's grandmother, when they left Alabama in the earlier 30's. No one else wanted it because it had a few stains on it. I loved it, because next to the stains were names and dates and small remarks about their friendships. Next to the one my great-great aunt made and was given to me as a wedding present 52 years ago by my grandmother, it is my greatest treasure.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

What an amazing story. I'm so happy that the quilt is still in your family's possession. The quilts my Mother made were utilitarian and sadly did not survive as they were constantly used and used up. Instead of batting she would use an old worn out blanket, sometimes an Army blanket brought back by one of my older brothers when they returned from Korea. Most of my quilts are made to be used, although most of them are still intact, as they were not heirloom quilts. That's probably why I started making quilts for our bi-annual family reunions, my brothers and sister sent fabric, I made a quilt to be raffled off at the family reunion. I'm pretty sure that was over 20 years ago, you know as you get older the mind starts to go, in the wrong direction, unfortunately. Fittingly, the very first quilt went to my oldest brother and when he passed away a few years ago, his kids - 6 girls and one boy - drew numbers and his youngest daughter now has the quilt. The quilts have become a reunion favorite, although neither myself nor my 2 children have won, but part of me will live on and I know the majority of those quilts are treasured by my family. I like to think I started another family tradition, although I sure would like to win one back one of these years.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 AM

Very exciting is right! I offer a suggestion here, FWIW. Before you visit your Aunt, try to find good information about care and storage of old quilts. You might print this from a web site, or find a booklet to give her. That
way,even if you never get custody of the quilt, you will contribute to the preservation of a family treasure.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:49 AM

How wonderful that the quilt is found! I'll offer no advice. I just wanted to say how happy I am that this treasure has been found. I know that we each value different things, depending on the memories we have, and you are right that people on this board understand.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:51 PM

You are so right...this is where we would understand how happy and excited you are!! What good news! and what a good reminder for all of us to label a quilt.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:49 PM

So happy for you,got my fingers crossed,and good luck. MIMI
Old 07-08-2013, 06:03 PM

When I received my great grandparents wedding quilt, turn of the century, red and white signature quilt!, I just petted it and thought about all the life it had seen. it was a little overwhelming.